Score For The Cure Game Ends In Draw

The St. John’s women’s soccer team drew 2-2 to Pittsburgh on Sunday in their final game at Belson Stadium this season.

The Red Storm (6-7-1, 2-4-1 ) played with heavy hearts, as the match was the second annual “Score for the Cure game,” which raised money for breast cancer awareness and paid tribute to the memory of the mother of Jen Leaverton, a women’s soccer alum and 2012 graduate.

“It’s [Score or a Cure] something that we have put a lot of work in over the years,” said St. John’s head coach Ian Stone. “We have to do it whole-heartedly because Jen was that type of player and the Leaverton family is just tremendous to the program.”

The Johnnies scored early in the first half when Senior Iceland native Runa Stefansdottir crossed to Caitlyn McLaughlin, who headed home. Stefansdottir was honored in her final home game at Belson Stadium with the playing of Iceland’s national anthem.

Pittsburgh (5-10-2, 0-5-2) retaliated ten minutes later when poor footwork led to a takeaway by Roosa Arvas, who put the Panthers on the scoreboard.

The Panthers again took advantage of the Johnnies’ poor footwork in the 26th minute. Once again it was Roosa Arvas who seized control of the ball and shot past Ellen Conway to give Pittsburgh their first lead.

The Johnnies came out in the second half with more aggression as Michelle Murino rocketed a shot well outside the 18-yard box into the lower right post in the 47th minute.

The Panthers were unable to get beyond St. John’s refreshed defense for much of the second half as the back four blocked a majority of their shots.

Their closest opportunity came in the closing minutes of the half when a Pittsburgh striker had an opportunity in the box, but Ellen Conway saved the attempt, which forced the two teams to settle the game in overtime.

Neither team was able to score in the first overtime, but the Red Storm were very close on several occasions to capture a decisive golden goal in the second overtime. However, Pittsburgh keeper Nicole D’Agostino came up with a couple of critical saves.

St. John’s will end their season on a three game road trip. Their first stop is in Wisconsin when they play Marquette (10-2-2, 6-0-1) on October 12.