Johnnies Lose a Couple Heartbreakers and Get Swept by UConn

St. John’s was swept by Connecticut this weekend, losing three consecutive games in as many days. The Red Storm (12-31-1, 3-11) found themselves on the wrong end of one-run losses before getting trounced in the weekend finale on Sunday.

The Johnnies, who have struggled on the road this season, found themselves leading the Huskies (22-20, 6-8) 4-3 in the sixth inning of the first game until a wild pitch from Freshman Tori Free allowed a UConn player to head home. Two more line-drive RBI were allowed in that inning to give the Huskies a two-run advantage.

The Red Storm attempted to mount a come-back in the seventh and final inning of play. With two on base and two outs, Sophomore Erin Burner hit a double that sent in Senior Chrissy Montez but  Freshman Yvonne Rericha was tagged out at home plate, which ended the game in a 6-5 loss for the Johhnies.

Head coach Amy Kvilhaug immediately rushed to home plate to argue the call, but the umpire was unwavering in his decision.

The second game of the double-header on Saturday was equally dramatic and heartbreaking as the first. UConn loaded the bases in the bottom of the third inning, but sharp pitching by Sophomore Francesca Carrullo got the Red Storm out of the jam to head into the fifth inning tied scoreless.

Burner got the Johnnies on the board with an RBI double and a 1-0 lead, which would stand until the 6th inning when Chrissy Montez recorded a 2-run home run.
Connecticut immediately started chipping away the lead in the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run and nabbed a 2-run homer in the same inning to tie the game.

St. John’s looked to extend the game into extra innings tied at 3-3, but UConn blasted another home run – this time a walk off – to seal a 4-3 victory and a two game edge over the Red Storm.

Sunday’s series finale was a more one-sided affair, as the Huskies’ bats came alive in the forth inning at the expense of Free. Connecticut scored off two wild pitches and a double to left field, which gave them a 4-1 lead.

UConn added three more runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to take a commanding 7-1 lead, which the Johnnies were hardly able to answer,
recording one run in the seventh inning.

St. John’s next play on April 24 when they host a double-header against DePaul.