Women’s Soccer Preview

The St. John’s women’s soccer team is coming in to 2014 with high expectations after a break out season last year finishing 12-6-3. The Johnnies reached the NCAA Tournament, which included a victory in the first round over the University of South Florida.

Rachel Daly set all types of records for women’s soccer at St. John’s last season. Daly set the St. John’s scoring record with 23 goals even after sitting out her freshman year. It’s safe to say the Lady Johnnies are no longer flying under the radar, and could be a team to be reckoned with not only in the Big East, but also nationally.

The Red Storm lost some notable players and team leaders that had significant playing time last season. D/F Sarah Ashmore, M/F/D Amy Marron, F/D Hailey Hemmer, M/D Rachel Hoffman and D/F Casey Marks were all lost to graduation.

But the Johnnies are returning some of their key components, including junior midfielder Rachel Daly, picked as the preseason Big East Offensive Player of the Year, and a Hermann Trophy Watch List Candidate, an award given to the nation’s best collegiate player. Also returning is sophomore goalie Diana Poulin, who compiled 11 shutouts last season.

Be on the look out for these players to have a breakout season.

Senior midfielder Caitlyn McLaughlin will be working in tandem with Daly, taking over for Amy Marron, as a dual threat on the offensive side. Some other players to look out for are senior Georgia Kearney-Perry and freshman midfielder Allie Moar.

Daly said at their season opener, “I’m trying to help the team win in anyway I can, if it’s assisting, helping out, or scoring the goals, I just want to help the team win.”

The Johnnies are picked to finish third in the Big East and will host the Big East Championship for the very first time in school history. They find themselves on a three-game losing streak and are 3-4 at this early stage of their 2014 campaign.

If the Johnnies want to live up to the high expectations, they need the younger players to step up and help Daly and the rest of the team. Head Coach Ian Stone feels that these fresh faces will want this challenge that lies ahead.