Pardon my purple fuzzy slippers, I’m a resident student

I have been a resident for about two and a half months. I have plenty to say, and it’s time to vent.

First of all, I should point out that I live in Century Hall, a building with quite the reputation.

Imagine that it’s 3:30 in the morning. You’re all comfy in bed and in the middle of a good sleep. You hear a knock on the door, which causes you to realize that a fire alarm is going off. To the best of my knowledge, this is neither because of a real fire nor because of a drill.

It is apparently because some unintelligent rump has nothing better to do with his or her time than to pull the fire alarm. (A wise person once said, “Simple minds are easily amused.”) Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t appreciate having to walk down six flights of stairs in my orange and red-checkered short-set PJs and fuzzy purple slippers with big pink and orange flowers on the tops, and stand in the freezing cold. Frankly, I don’t need the guy I like to see me in that particular outfit. It is only slightly embarrassing.

Of course, the fact that I got a call at 3 in the morning that same day asking me if I was in a guy’s suite didn’t help my mood at all.

Now, I realize that some of the buildings such as Hollis have many more fire drills than Century. Even so, I don’t care. I don’t live in Hollis, therefore I don’t give two hoots how often and at what time their drills are.

At any given time during the day, it is likely that one will hear loud music emanating from the rooms of Century. Although the majority of this music would fall into the category of hip-hop, I would like to point out that there was one day when a person felt that everyone within a 10-mile radius needed to hear the theme song to “Three’s Company.” I’d like to go and knock on their door and share some information: No one wants to hear that!

Another one of the lovely residents of Century apparently likes to throw water balloons out of the window in an attempt to hit those entering the building. Fortunately, he or she has bad aim.

Certain people who either live in Century or just visit should ask Santa for some Pepto-Bismol for Christmas. I don’t know about everyone else, but I personally am getting tired of smelling vomit on the first floor.

There is also the matter of the elevators being used as wastebaskets. One day, a chicken leg went for an extended ride while on the elevator floor. Someone was nice enough to smear a peanut butter sandwich on the floor on a different occasion. Not to mention things such as Girl Scott cookies and bananas that are abandoned in the elevators.

These aren’t the only problems that exist with the elevators. They apparently have some medical condition that causes them to have seizures each time they stop. It has gotten to the point where most Century residents either don’t care or just don’t notice anymore.

Yet another thing I have issues with is the way that residents use the laundry facilities. Certain people have a tendency to put their clothes in the washer or dryer and leave them there. Oddly enough, some of us actually have better things to do than wait the entire day just to do our laundry. It shouldn’t be some big honor to actually finish the laundry. Once I finally finish the laundry, I feel as if trumpets should sound. Of course, we only have half of the machines actually functioning properly because one card reader doesn’t read the cards.

We also had a person who was nice enough to decorate the front doors of Century Hall for Halloween. There were some very nice, pretty raw egg whites and yolks that made a lovely pattern down the front of the door. We can only hope that the artistic talent of this person will be recognized before their death so that they may enjoy their fame.