Red Storm Unfazed by Hurricanes

Sixty seconds.

That’s the amount of time the St. John’s had left before picking up a conference victory over the University of Miami.

Sixty seconds.

That was also enough time for the Hurricanes’ Jenna Johnson to score the game-tying goal and eventually send the match to double overtime, where Miami (8-4-1, 4-1-1) picked up a 3-2 win over St. John’s (6-3-3, 2-3) at Belson Stadium Sunday afternoon.

“We need to be better in those situations,” St. John’s Head Coach Ian Stone said. “I thought we needed to keep getting pressure on the ball as opposed to sitting back and letting them take shots at us.

“I thought we’d done enough to win it.”

Gitana Gotay capped a back-and-forth game just 36 seconds into the second overtime, taking a deflected shot from Johnson and booting it past Red Storm goalie Tina Fogg.

The win was a heartbreaker for St. John’s, who had fought back to score two goals in the second half, only to see the lead, and eventually the game, slip away.

“We have to find a way to be better,” Stone said. “I wasn’t happy with the way we started but I thought we gradually kind of got into it a little bit more and towards the end of the first half I thought we were playing better.”

Miami took an early 1-0 lead in the 13th minute on a goal by Allison McWhinney.

McWhinney took a pass from Vonda Matthews on a two-on-one and scored on a low shot to the left side.

The Johnnies did have some chances to get on the board.

Claudia Rubino tried to jam home a ball but was denied, and Dominica Reina’s rush from the left side just trickled outside the post, allowing Miami to keep a one-goal halftime lead.

The Hurricanes’ were looking to push even further ahead, but the crossbar got in their way.

Andrea Radice had two shots nail the crossbar and bounce harmlessly away.

In the 65th minute, St. John’s tied the game when Theresa Bulman sent a pass to a streaking Kaitlin Schmidt.

The freshman broke away from two defenders as she ran 45 yards and deposited the ball in the back of the net for her ninth goal of the season.

The goal gave the Red Storm offense some life, and two minutes later Schmidt crossed a ball from the right side to Reina in the middle of the box.

As Elsby readied herself for the shot, Reina passed to a wide-open Erin Henderson, who sent it passed the flailing goalie for a 2-1 lead.

The goal was the first of the freshman’s young career.

That was the score until the Johnnies had trouble clearing in front of the net and Johnson would send the game to overtime.

“To an extent we need a little bit more of a killer instinct and going out and dominating situations more,” Stone said, “which I think we have the potential to be able to do that.”

Fogg made eight saves on the afternoon, while Elsby made two.

St. John’s will look to regroup tonight when they travel to Monmouth for a break in the conference schedule.

The Red Storm will return to Big East play on Tuesday, Oct. 15 with a game against Rutgers at Belson Stadium.