Three Johnnies Earn Big East Honors

Three members of the women’s soccer team earned Big East honors for their performances during the past week, when the Red Storm picked up 1-0 victories over Rutgers and Seton Hall and tied 14th-ranked Villanova.

Dominica Reina earned Co-Offensive Player of the Week by notching game-winning goals in both of St. John’s wins.

The sophomore now has 11 goals on the season, the first Johnnie to notch 11 tallies since Cristin Burtis accomplished the feat in the 1994 season.

Courtney Rett took home Defensive Player of the Week honors by leading a Red Storm defensive effort that earned two shutouts and allowed just 11 shots by the Scarlet Knights and Pirates. In St. John’s 1-1 tie with Villanova, the junior scored the game-tying goal.

Tina Fogg went undefeated in net and was named Goalkeeper of the Week. The senior allowed just one goal in 290 minutes of action, garnering shutouts over Rutgers and Seton Hall.

Against Villanova, Fogg made a career-high 15 saves.

With her two shutouts, Fogg passed Sherry Reill to become St. John’s all-time leader in shutouts. Earlier in the season, Fogg passed Reill to become the program’s all-time leader in wins.

This marks the first time that three St. John’s players received Big East honors in the same week.

The only award not captured by a Johnnie was Rookie of the Week. Freshman Erin Henderson, who had two assists during the week, was beaten out by Rutgers’ Ashley Shaban.

As a team, St. John’s moved up to seventh place in the Northeast region in the NSCAA/adidas poll.