Volleyball Finishes on a High Note

The St. John’s women’s volleyball team was 15-16 going into its last weekend of play, and in order to have a winning season and get back on track after five straight losses, the Johnnies needed to defeat Providence and Boston College on Nov. 16 and 17.

That is exactly what they did, finishing their season with a record of 17-16 and a 6-7 mark in the Big East.

“It was a nice feeling to finish the season with a couple of wins, and we’re very happy to finish over .500,” St. John’s Head Coach Joanne Persico-Smith said. “They never gave up and they gave a great performance.”

The team ended its five-game losing streak with a 3-1 (30-18, 26-30, 30-13, 30-16) victory over the Friars.

Sarah McCrary, Robyn Kurasaki and Rosalyn Dang’s double-doubles led St. John’s.

McCrary tallied 18 kills and 18 digs, while Kurasaki dished out 55 assists and 14 digs and Dang recorded 16 kills and 11 digs.

Meaghan Creedon finished with two block solos and two block assists, while Shannon Engle added 11 digs on defense.

The Red Storm concluded their season with a 3-0 (30-28, 30-18, 30-28) victory over Boston College.

Jackie Ahlers tallied 15 kills and McCrary tallied 12 kills and seven digs.

Kurasaki dished out 36 assists and added 10 digs, while Dang contributed 13 digs.

Ahlers play during the season did not go unnoticed by the conference, and she received All-Big East Honorable Mention.

“Jackie never played like a freshman,” Persico-Smith commented. “She played with a lot of enthusiasm and fight, and next year she should make the first or second All-Big East team.”

Persico-Smith is looking to improve on the team’s record next year, and hopes the team will play consistent volleyball for the entire 2003 season.

“This season was a little up and down,” Persico-Smith said. “There were some great wins [beating UConn for the first time], and there were some tough losses as well.”