Svoboda, fencing win again, tennis falls to RU

Men’s Golf

St. John’s golfer Andrew Svoboda came back from a two-shot deficit to share individual medalist honors at the Treasure Coast Classic at the PGA Tour C.C. in Port St. Lucie, Fla. last Friday.

The team as a whole struggled throughout, finishing 14th overall.

Senior Ian Middleton finished tied for 71st, while seniors John DeForest and Kyle Sleasman finished tied for 89th.

Svoboda is also one of just 21 golfers on the watch list for the Hogan Award, which is presented annually to the top men’s college golfer.

The SJU men’s golf team returns to the links when they head to Williamsburg, Va. March 24 to compete in the William & Mary Invitational.

Women’s Tennis

The St. John’s women’s tennis team lost a grueling battle to division foe Rutgers University last Wednesday at the Alley Pond Tennis Center in Bayside by the score of 4 matches to 3.

The Red Storm won only one doubles match as the team of senior Nataliya Kostova and sophomore Kristina Bothova defeated the Rutgers pair of Andrea Weckstein and Carissa Sommerlad (8-3).

In singles play, Kostova and Bostova won both of their matches against Weckstein and Sommerlad respectively.

Freshman Lauren Lorenzetti also earned a victory over Kaitlin Link, in the No. 5 singles spot.

The Red Storm return to action when they travel to West Virginia to face the Mountaineers March 23.

Fencing

The St. John’s men’s and women’s fencing teams dominated the Northeast Regional competition two weeks ago at New York University as they qualified 10 athletes for the NCAA Championships.

The men’s team had three individual winners and the women had two, with six women finishing in the top ten.

For the men, freshman Ntai Kafir took the foil competition as the top seed.

Junior Serhiy Isayenko won the sabre and sophomore Arpad Horvath captured the individual title in the epee.

For the ladies, senior Irina Khouade won the foil and three-time All-American senior Arlene Stevens captured the women’s epee title.

This weekend the Storm compete in the NCAA Championships at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Col.