Members of University faculty awarded prestigious Fulbright Scholarship grants

St. John’s professors Dr. Mary Ann Maslak and Dr. Senshang Lin are the University’s newest Fulbright Scholars. The two professors have been awarded Fulbright Research Awards for 2005-2006.

“For the faculty of St. John’s, a dedication to teaching goes hand-in-hand with a commitment to research of the highest caliber,” said Julia Upton, RSM, the University provost. “Our Fulbright Scholars testify to our continuing tradition of faculty excellence.”

Maslak, an associate professor of education, will use her award to study the historic and continuing education obstacles confronting women from China’s ethnic minorities. Maslak will use her grant, which extends from Jan. 2006 to Aug. 2006, to travel throughout rural China to conduct her research.

“The education of girls from the ethnic minority groups has particularly lagged behind China’s national standards and norm,” Maslak said. “This research project addresses the country’s pressing concern.”

Maslak has also received a Summer 2006 Fulbright award to conduct further research in India.

Lin, an associate professor of pharmacy and administrative sciences, will use his research grant to explore a new way to fight breast cancer through the topical administration of gonadotropin-releasing hormone, which suppresses the growth of cancer cells. Through this new technique, a patient would use a safe, current-generating machine that would allow the skin to absorb medication from a topical patch.

“When these medications are administered by injection, systemic side effects often occur,” Lin said. “If this topical way of administering the medication proves effective, we will be able to avoid major side effects by using a smaller dose.”

Lin will use his Fulbright award to conduct his research, and teach, at the Kaohsiung Medical University in Taiwan.

Fulbright grants are made to U.S. citizens and nationals of other countries for a variety of educational activities, primarily university lecturing, advanced research, graduate study and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Since the program’s inception, more than 250,000 participants – chosen for their leadership potential – have had the opportunity to observe each other’s political, economic and cultural institutions.

Only 800 researchers receive the award each year.

“Numerous scholars from all over the United States submit excellent proposals to the Fulbright Foundation every year,” Maslak said. “I was very lucky to be selected to receive the award.”

Maslak and Lin are the most recent in a long line of St. John’s faculty to receive the prestigious award.