Chambers career high leads St. John’s

The St. John’s women’s basketball team took another step forward on Wednesday night as they defeated Fairleigh Dickinson University, 84-65. The win brings St. John’s (5-0) undefeated streak to five on the season while Fairleigh Dickinson falls to 2-2. This marks the second year in a row that the St. John’s women have started the season with a 5-0 record.

The Knights and took an early 7-2 lead. This proved to be, however, the largest lead they would have all night. Senior Danielle Chambers led the offense by posting a career-high 21 points (13 in the first half)  with 16 rebounds. Chambers sunk a layup that gave the Red Storm its first lead at 13-12, a lead they would not lose for the rest of the night.

Junior Kia Wright also had a terrific first half, scoring 10 points. She has scored in double digits in each of the first five games. She also added four rebounds, four assists and finished the game with 18 points.

Despite the large margin of victory, the game was close throughout. At the end of the first half, St. John’s led 39-34. The game got even tighter shortly after, with the Knights pulling as close as 52-50 with a layup by Katie Warehime.

With 14 minutes left to the game, however, St. John’s pulled away to secure victory. They went on a 21-2 run, eventually leading 73-52.

Even while leading by 20 with 2 minutes to go, however, St. John’s played tough.

“[It doesn’t matter] whether it’s two minutes left or 0-0, we’re always going to play,” Chambers said. “The other team isn’t going to give up.”

“We’ve got to prepare for the Big East teams,” added St. John’s coach Kim Barnes Arico. “Those games will be close and we’ve got to play until the game is over.”

Krissy Suckow and Shaney Freeman led the Knights with 12 points each. The next stop for St. John’s women’s basketball is Evanston, Ill., this weekend to participate in the Mildred White Invitational. The Red Storm hopes to keep its undefeated streak alive as the team takes on Wake Forest on Friday.