LOCAL BRIEFS

Brooklyn fire injures rescuers

Seven people were injured after a three-alarm fire in Brooklyn on Feb. 19. The blaze that occurred in Bedford Stuyvesant took approximately four hours to extinguish.

Three residents were injured in the blaze and four fire fighters were hospitalized because of minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Illegal immigrant loses babies during deportation

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents escorted Zhenxing Jiang, an illegal Chinese immigrant, on a three-hour ride to JFK airport from Philadelphia.

Jiang was scheduled for deportation on Feb. 8, and when ICE officers noticed that she was pregnant, she was immediately taken to the airport.

After arriving at JFK, Jiang complained of severe back pain but was not given immediate medical attention, according to the Times Ledger.

By the time Jiang received medical care, the unborn babies had stopped moving and breathing. Once Jiang recovers, her deportation is expected to be rescheduled.

Crime rate on the rise

Crime has risen by 13 percent in the 103rd precinct from the same time last year.

The 103rd encompasses downtown Jamaica, Hollis Gardens, Hollis, Lakewood and Jamaica.

According to the Times Ledger, residents are concerned about the diminishing quality of life and are pressuring the precinct to take action in regard to the recent rise in crime.

Bloomberg demands funding

for education

New York State is required to provide funding for Department of Education (DOE) capital projects under the Campaign for Fiscal Equity (CFE), according to Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

However, according to the Queens Courier, Bloomberg said they have failed to provide such resources, putting 21 buildings or approximately 15,000 classroom seats citywide in jeopardy.

Bloomberg, along with other city officials, is demanding that State officials provide the necessary money to go through with the construction of new school space.

Tuition reform to help less fortunate

State Senator Serphin Maltese announced an agenda at Christ the King High School on Feb. 16 that will look to lower tuition for low income families and will make significant reductions for other families based on the amount of household income.

These proposed reductions are expected to cut tuition by nearly 50 percent for low income families in New York City.

with NY1, Times Ledger and Queens Courier sources