Arctic Monkeys, British punks

If you are from Long Island, Queens, or New York City, it is most likely true that any club you have ever been to will feature a D.J. playing the beats of hip hop, R&B and reggae.

It is very rare to find a club in New York, or even anywhere else in the U.S., that plays music of British bands unless they have an “80’s night.” This is illogical, but apparently that is how it works here in New York.

Breaking the mold for most British bands, The Arctic Monkeys achieved widespread popularity in the U.S. Their success can be attributed in part to the Internet, which garnered them attention along with the live shows they performed before they were even signed by Domino. This is the same label that took on Franz Ferdinand, another big band from the U.K.

The quartet’s album, “Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not,” is for people who enjoy punk music without the usual pretentiousness that is associated with it.

Alex Turner (vocalist), Jamie Cook (guitarist), Andy Nicholson (bass), and Matt Helders (drums) are all college friends in their twenties, who observe their culture and use it as material for their band.

Since this is a dance album, it is only fitting that they paint a picture of their first experience into the nightlife of their small town of South Yorkshire.

In the opening track, “The View From the Afternoon,” Turner sings, “I want to see all of the things that we’ve already seen.”

This song describes the life of a young adult. Each aspect touches upon and embraces the out-of-control life their peers lead.

“I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor,” their hit single in the U.K., is an upbeat track sung at Turner’s typical fast pace, with perfectly articulated lyrics about his lust for the women he sees dancing every night.

Think of it as a faster version of Franz Ferdinand’s “Take Me Out.”

On “Riot Van,” the pace of the beats and Turner’s voice slow down, making it appear as if it will be a sweet little number, but the offset of violence changes that emotion quickly.

On “A Certain Romance,” the longest track with ascending and descending guitar riffs and vocals, the guys show their sympathy for their friends and even hang their heads low and stumble along home. Kendall sings, “The point’s that there isn’t no romance around here.”

The tracks that are less appealing on this album are “Dancing Shoes” and “Still Take You Home,” because both are weak laments about club-goers and adolescent drama.

These particular tracks, however, can draw in a younger target audience even though they are not up to par with the other songs on the album.

What is most alluring about the Arctic Monkeys is the fast tempo they maintain that serves as excellent dance music.

It also does not hurt that Turner has an edgy voice that he stretches throughout the album. His voice alone can make guys pump their fists and girls swoon.