CED SAYS GOODBYE

Sophomore guard Cedric Jackson of the men’s basketball team will be transferring to another school following St. John’s spring semester. It was announced by coach Norm Roberts on Tuesday.

“We wish Cedric the best,” said Roberts. “He is a young man who put in a tremendous amount of hard work and effort in representing St. John’s basketball.”

Jackson averaged 4.4 points per game, 3.3 rebounds per game and 1.3 steals per game in 24.0 minutes. He played in 27 games and started in 10 of them.

Men’s Golf

Playing at the Bradford Creek Invitational over the weekend, St. John’s placed second with an 879 final mark.

Sophomore Keegan Bradley finished in a five-way tie for seventh place, carding a 217 (three over par.)

Brian McArdle and George Zolotas also had good tournaments, placing 13th and 18th, respectively.

Kevin Velardo started off hot, posting a three-under par 69 and finished carding a 223. Casey Calmi finished with a mark of 235 strokes.

“We played really well and I’m proud of our effort,” coach Frank Darby said.

Akron won the tournament, posting a total of 872 and also had the low scorer with Vaughn Snyder posting a 211.

Track & Field

St. John’s hosted its first meet of the 2006 Spring Series on Monday and boasted seven first-place finishes.

In track events, the winners were Nerissa Pelle in the 400 meter dash, Tarashon Broomes in the 100 meter dash, Kaydian Reid in the 800 meter run, Jasmine Barreto in the 1500 meter run, Jane Vongvorachoti in the 3000 meter steeplechase.

In field events, the winners were Kesheila Reid in shot put and Venisa Clarke in long jump.

Women’s Golf

Playing Sunday at the Hoya Invitational, the team shot a total of 646, good for sixth place finish.

Senior Maggie Steciuk led St. John’s with a 10th place finish, carding a total of 158. Christin Thomson and Brittany Lambertson placed 15th and 25th, respectively.

Rounding out the team was Jaclyn Sanders and Katie Lebel, placing in 31st and 61st, respectively.

The tournament winner was Georgetown. They also had the low scorer in Christy Larrimore who carded a 612.