Softball splits with Seton Hall

The St. John’s softball team cruised to an 8-3 victory over Big East rival Seton Hall in the second game of a doubleheader on Saturday, April 15, after dropping the opener 4-1.

St. John’s pounded out 11 hits in the victory and had no trouble coming up wiThe St. John’s softball team cruised to an 8-3 victory over Big East rival Seton Hall in the second game of a doubleheader on Saturday, April 15, after dropping the opener 4-1.

St. John’s pounded out 11 hits in the victory and had no trouble coming up with timely hits with runners on base. The second game had the complete opposite result, highlighted by a strong offensive showing.

Red Storm shortstop, Arizona native Loren Anguiano, delivered in six of the team’s eight runs with a three hit performance, including a first inning grand slam with two outs and a two-run double in the fifth.

First baseman Roxann Struble had a run-scoring double in the third inning and catcher Lauren Lupinetti added a sacrifice fly to score a run in the sixth.

The Storm rallied behind starting pitcher Jessica Foley’s complete game effort, allowing only three earned runs on eight hits and striking out four batters for her seventh win of the season.

Foley worked out of jams in the second, fifth, and sixth innings, allowing only one run in each before coming up with a big pitch to work out of trouble.

With the victory, St. John’s snapped a four-game losing streak and improved their overall record to 22-20, with a 5-7 conference record.

In the opening game, the Red Storm’s bats were stifled, compiling only four hits for the entire ballgame.

St. John’s had not scored a run before right fielder Jessica Marical finally scored on a wild pitch in the seventh. The Red Storm stranded nine runners on base and had no hits with runners in scoring position.

The team squandered chances to score in the first two innings and could not take advantage with a clutch hit to get the offense going.

St. John’s was engaged in a scoreless pitchers’ duel up until the bottom of the fifth inning, when Seton Hall added four runs to put the game out of reach.

Pitcher Lisa Geer pitched well for the Red Storm in the loss despite the lack of run support, allowing only two runs in 5.2 innings before being pulled in the sixth inning.th timely hits with runners on base. The second game had the complete opposite result, highlighted by a strong offensive showing.

Pitcher Lisa Geer pitched well for the Red Storm in the loss despite the lack of run support, allowing only two runs in 5.2 innings before being pulled in the sixth inning.