The birth of a childless world

Imagine a world that has become a political wasteland. The United States has become a ghost of its former glory. Britain is the world’s major superpower after African and East European societies have fallen apart. Refugees flood into London, only to be herded into cages by vicious German shepherds for deportation, or to be locked away into a military controlled camp.

Now, imagine that all the women across the globe have become infertile, and mankind is essentially counting down to extinction. From the mind of Mexican director Alfonso Cuar√≥n and screenwriter Timothy J. Sexton, comes “Children of Men,” a phenomenal film that combines these concepts into a movie worth every cent.

The story, set in 2027, follows Theodore Faron (Clive Owen), an ex-activist turned bureaucrat who has seen a fair amount of adversity throughout his life, especially after the death of his son.

Soon after hearing about the death of the youngest citizen on the planet, baby Diego, who was 18, he is confronted by his ex-wife Julian Taylor (Julianne Moore) in a very unconventional way -she kidnaps him.

Ultimately, Theo is tasked with escorting a girl, Kee (Claire-Hope Ashitey), out of the country. She is trying to leave while most are trying to get in because she carries with her a gift to mankind; Kee is pregnant, and they must find her safe passage to the Human Project sanctuary, the only organization that can keep her safe and potentially find out the reason for the world’s infertility.

“Children of Men” arguably had no low-points. It never seemed as though the film was going in circles, and although the idea of the world becoming infertile is bizarre, the dystopian society in which the movie takes place does not seem too outlandish.

The infertility of women around the world created a nice spin that had mass appeal for moviegoers, but the political strife that exists in the film could be considered a statement from director Cuarón, a Mexico City native, as the subject of immigration flies throughout Congress.

The gritty and gray environments perfectly reflect the dire situation that the world has found itself in, and likewise the acting does as well, but in a good way.

Theo, a man supposed to be stripped of everything, is found with practically nothing to lose, and while most people would reject the responsibility bestowed on him, his life has been given purpose again. Owens’ does a great job of portraying a broken man who miraculously finds faith in himself after years of hardship.

The actors around Owens, including Moore, Chiwetel Ejiofor (Luke) and especially Ashitey, shine on their own as well. If someone was to be put in Kee’s situation, being the first woman pregnant in 18 years, they would be scared and confused, and Ashitey did a good job of reproducing that vibe.

“Children of Men,” although a far cry from what could take place, especially since no specific explanation was given for the desistence of mankind’s ability to procreate, and the ending may leave you wanting more, it was a solid movie and one easily recommended to absolutely anyone with an appreciation for any kind of film.