Devil’s Advocate

Dear Devil’s Advocate,
One of my close guy friends recently revealed to me that he likes me. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel about him. I haven’t really gotten over breaking up with my ex (it happened a few months ago) and I decided after it happened to concentrate on myself. Then this came about and I didn’t even know how to respond. We have gone about a day without talking and I fear that this will change things between us. I don’t want to lose his friendship, and it’s not that I don’t like him, I’m just unsure. Help!

-Unsure

Dear Unsure,
Friendships completely change when friends start developing feelings for each other. In your case, it’s your buddy who has these feelings. To avoid a recreation of a “Dawson’s Creek” episode, be completely honest with him. I hope you plan on telling him that this is a more of a “you” thing, although it may sound like you’re making excuses. But if you honestly don’t want anything at the moment, do not lead him on and make him wait for you. If it is meant to be, it will happen naturally with time. Or if you are open to the idea, why not give it a try? You never know what the outcome may be.
Dear Devil’s Advocate,
I’m a sophomore and have realized that I am not satisfied with my declared major. I enjoyed biology in high school, but now I find that I am not interested in it as much, but I don’t know what else I could major in.
I worry that this will upset my parents because they expected me to do something in the field of biology and that I will make a big mistake if I switch over to another major. What should I do?

-Stuck in a Rut

Dear Stuck,
I think we all face some confusion regarding what to major in when we enter college. If you are sure that you don’t want to major in biology, try seeing what other classes you enjoy. Perhaps you will find a new love for another subject. If not, try seeking guidance from an advisor who might be able to help you.
Another option could be discussing it with friends to get some ideas.
As for your parents, they have to be understanding and realize you are unhappy pursuing your current major. They have to accept that your changing your major is a way of bettering yourself and will ultimately effect you the most.
Dear Devil’s Advocate,
My parents have been urging me to get a second job, but I feel stressed as is with the job I have and my schoolwork. I fear that I’m going to have to drop out because I don’t think I could handle that much work. I don’t want to because all I need is one more semester to graduate but if I have to there’s nothing else I can do. Any ideas?
-Overworked co-ed

Dear Overworked,
Wow, that’s a lot of pressure on you from your home and school life. But first, why is it that your parents want you to get a second job? If it is because they can’t afford to cover you financially, find a job that won’t require too much grunt work or long hours. If that’s not the case, you should make your own decision.
You seem to want to complete your college career and you shouldn’t let anyone stop you from doing so. Speak to your parents about the way you’re feeling regarding a second job… they are bound to understand since they always want what’s best for you.

Need advice? Please send your inquiries to the Devil’s Advocate: [email protected]