No luck through six

The St. John’s baseball team continues to search for their first win of the season, as they fell to Washington 6-3 in the consolation game of the East Carolina Invitational and dropped to 0-6 on the season.

The Red Storm, who were selected in the preseason polls to win the Big East, were led by second baseman Sam DeLuca, who recorded three RBIs while batting three-for-three, and Brian Kemp, who had two hits, two runs scored and a stolen base.

Although St. John’s jumped out to an early 2-0 led by the end of the top of the third, Washington (1-5) had a big bottom half of the inning, plating four runs. The Red Storm threatened in the top of the sixth with a run, but Washington shut down the rally to retain the lead. After tacking on runs in the seventh and eighth innings, Washington defused any hope of a comeback for St. John’s, turning a double play with no outs and getting outfielder Chris Joachim to ground out.

Duke 4, St. John’s 2
The Red Storm dropped the first game of a double-header Sunday to Duke by a score of 4-2, continuing their early season woes.

The undefeated Duke (9-0) never allowed St. John’s to take the lead, scoring in the first inning and adding three late game runs to secure the victory. Although the Red Storm tied the contest in the fourth inning off RBI single by catcher Brendan Monaghan, St. John’s was unable to sustain any constant pressure.

The Red Storm stayed in the game though, as outfielder Chris Anninos cut the deficit to one run with a solo home run to left field in the bottom of the eighth inning. Duke added an insurance run in the top of the ninth though, and did not allow St. John’s to capitalize with a runner in scoring position in the bottom half of the inning.

East Carolina 5, St. John’s 1
St. John’s dropped the opening game of the East Carolina University Invitational tournament Saturday to East Carolina, falling by a score of 5-1.

Lefthander Matt Tosoni pitched eight innings of two run ball, but the Red Storm was unable to capitalize off East Carolina (3-5) starter T.J. Hose and three relievers.

After jumping out to an early lead in the first inning, East Carolina went ahead by a run in the second inning off of two hits. The St. John’s offense was non-existent after the first inning, recording only two more hits over eight innings.