Dominance

The St. John’s softball team closed out its fall season at home this Sunday with a bang, as it decimated Dowling 22-3 and Adelphi 10-0 in games that were called off early because of the mercy rule.

“The team definitely performed in terms of statistics, but that is not what impressed me the most,” coach Amy Kvilhaug told Redstormsports.com. “This team treats every outting as if it is the final out of the college world series.”

The Red Storm began with an assault on Dowling in game one, as every starting player managed at least one hit and run scored.

Freshman Kacee Cox, catching in place of Brandy Reyes, led the offense going 4-for-5 with four runs and six RBI.

That set a pace that was followed by Roxanne Struble, Lisa Geer, Alyson Funn, Shauntaine Harris, and Danielle Estrada, who all turned multiple-hit, multiple-RBI performances.

The only unfortunate note came in the fourth inning, when the senior Estrada was injured sliding into second base and could not play in the second game.

In game two, St. John’s bats remained hot while the combined pitching effort of Linzee Sumrall and Kat Lawrence froze Adelphi in its tracks.

Sumrall and Lawrence struck out seven and allowed just one hit over five innings.

In addition, Cox, who once again led the Red Storm going 2-for-3 with 5 RBI including her first-ever grand slam, turned in another stellar performance.

Funn, a red shirt senior, also contributed, going 3-for-3 with one run and two RBI.

“Our young players are maturing and our upperclassmen are setting great examples as this team progresses,” Kvilhaug said.

The mercy rule was once again enforced after it was clear that St. John’s was dominating the game after the conclusion of the fifth inning.

The Red Storm ended its fall schedule at a perfect 6-0 with an impressive 0.95 ERA and .419-team batting average.

St. John’s resumes play on February 16th 2008, when their spring season begins at the LSU Tiger classic in Baton Rouge, La.