Inferno Cheap Eats: Queens

The demand for Mexican and Latin food for the college-aged demographic is rather high. However, this demand is often filled with bland, gross, and unhealthy substitutions given to us by Taco Bell and other similar fast take-out type places. There is, however, an affordable and tasty alternative: De Mole in Woodside. Its exterior makes it look like an upper-class take-out kind of joint; however, inside is a pleasant atmosphere filled with great service. It is located on the corner of 45th St. and 48th Ave. It sadly is not subway accessible, though it is no more than a 10 to 15 minute drive from St. John’s Queens campus.

Unlike fast food, this Mexican and Latin cuisine is authentic and very fresh tasting. It uses key and often overlooked ingredients – the lime and the avocado – giving everything a very healthy yet satisfying taste. The kitchen provides different kinds of dishes that we normally don’t see on our fast food menus, such as Ceviche, a well-prepared fish dish, as well as exotic salads and sandwiches. De Mole also provides the quesadillas, tacos, and burritos we all know and love, except it only uses fresh-cut meats, not processed.
De Mole is also well-known for serving something that is very rarely seen: Mexican Coca-Cola. Unlike American Coke products, which is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup, Mexican Coke is sweetened with cane sugar, which not only tastes better and is healthier, but is also better for our environment. They also have a lot of exotic teas available.

Although it may appear as just a hole in the wall take-out place in the cultural melting pot that is Queens, De Mole is a very simple, fresh, and worthwhile eatery. This especially rings true for college kids with pockets that are less than deep and mouths that are always craving dishes from south of the border.

De Mole
4502 48th Ave.
Woodside, NY 11377
(718) 392 – 2161