Oakdale for sale

St. John’s Oakdale campus began an assessment last week in preparation of selling the campus, according to a University news release.

The written statement reports that the size and space at the 170-acre campus, located in Suffolk County,, “has gone underutilized,” which led too the revelation.

The news release also stated that the University’s 10-year relationship with Suffolk County is intended to remain intact after hiring a local real estate company, Cushman & Wakefield, to assess the area.
“St. John’s University stated its intentions to foster a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship with the Christian Brothers and the community while offering quality higher education curriculum.”
The news release added, “That commitment continues to this day and the University has no plans to leave Long Island or discontinue existing programs.”

President of the University Reverend Donald J. Harrington, C.M. said in the written statement, “Our academic commitment remains firm and we will continue to expand our graduate program offerings to prospective students in Suffolk County as well as the New York Metropolitan Area – regardless of any future sale of our Oakdale property.”
Since the University retained the campus in 1999 from the LaSalle Brothers, they have invested more than $10 million to improve classrooms, laboratories and other facilities. The news release stated that the doctorate and graduate level programs have accelerated with the enrollment of about 300 students.