Chappell Players draw young audience at latest show

The Sneetches and Other Stories is a collection of four stories written by beloved children’s author, Dr. Seuss.

The Chappell Players Theater Group performed these stories in the Little Theatre from April 3-12.

Elementary school students from P.S. 199 in Kew Gardens attended the performance on Thursday, April 10 .

Jordan Holtzmn, a kindergartner teacher at P.S. 199, said he had his class read the book prior to coming to see the play.

The four stories in the book each have a moral lesson. These stories include “The Sneetches,” “The Zax,” “Too Many Daves,” and “What Was I Scared of?”

The first story, “The Sneetches,” deals with the issue of discrimination. Half of the yellow creatures called Sneetches have stars on their bellies, while the other half of the creatures do not.

The Sneetches who do not have stars feel left out. By the end of the story, however, all of the Sneetches end up without stars and both groups of Sneetches realize that they should not judge each other based on how they look.

Some teachers planned their lessons around the play, according to Vikki De Meo, the play’s stage manager.

The show’s cast did their share to educate the children by providing a study guide that consisted of fun activities.

The audience also received an extra treat-a question and answer session not with the actors, but with the characters themselves.

Sophomore Sarah Gonclaves, who played the lead role, as the narrator Izzy, enjoyed the added excitement the children brought to the performance.

“The energy that is created by their laughter, by their cheering, it’s so encouraging to work off of as a performer. It’s like you can feel it on stage,” she said.

Connecting with the children was first on the to-do list for freshman Taylor Pedane, who played several characters in the play.

“The mission of an actor is to reach out to the audience,” Pedane said.

“To reach out to so many little kids who are so innocent and pure, and who would just buy into it, it was just [amazing].”

The entrance to the Little Theater and the road in front of it were completely closed for the week of the performances.

The ongoing road construction alongside Carnessecca Arena and Marillac made it difficult to get a large number of children into the Little Theater, according to De Meo.

“We had to escort the kids through the loading dock behind Taffner, and then into the Little Theater,” she said.

The children in the audience enjoyed the performance.

“I loved it,” said Kariea Ancinette, a first grader at P.S. 20 in Flushing.