Softball gets swept over weekend, conference record falls

The St. John’s softball team didn’t fare well during their travels north this weekend. In fact, they got swept in doubleheaders against both UConn and Providence.

The Red Storm played Connecticut tough in game one on Saturday, however a blown late-game lead meant a dramatic 6-5 Huskies victory. UConn center fielder Micah Truax hit a game-winning double in the bottom of the seventh.

“We must do a better job of holding the lead,” head coach Amy Kvilhaug told Redstormsports.com. “UConn executed better than we did and got the pitching efforts to back it up.”

In the most impressive offensive display of the weekend, right fielder Chelsea Durning and third baseman Kacee Cox provided firepower at the top of the lineup. Durning had three of the team’s seven hits in game one and Cox led the team in RBIs with two.

In the second game, Cox knocked in the team’s lone run, with a game-tying RBI single in the top of the third. St. John’s could not hold off the Huskies’ bats, however, allowing four unanswered runs leading to a 5-1 loss.

Heading a bit farther west to Rhode Island on Sunday to take on Providence, didn’t solve the Storm’s offensive struggles.

Providence captured the doubleheader opener 1-0, but Storm pitcher Kat Lawrence tossed a six-inning gem in the loss. She struck out five batters while allowing only five hits. The Storm had only three hits as a team. Providence got their only run on a fifth-inning homer off the bat of Justine Stratton.

In the second game, the Storm dropped another one-run contest, this time, 4-3.

St. John’s scored three runs in the top of the first, but were stifled the rest of the way.

First baseman Brandy Reyes had two of the team’s six hits along with an RBI.

They entered the bottom of the sixth with a 3-1 lead, but again could not put the nail in the coffin, and allowed three runs in the last two innings off some Providence late-game fireworks.

Providence left fielder Gina Rossi homered in the sixth to tie the game at three before center fielder Mary Rose Sheehy won it in the seventh with a walk-off blast.

“This was a tough weekend for us,” Kvilhaug told Redstormsports.com. “Our offense could not get it going in the first game. We came out with energy in the second but could not close it out when we needed to.”

St. John’s moves to 15-28 on the season, with a 2-12 record in the Big East.

The Red Storm will face off at home against Marist for two games. Then they hit the road again to battle rivals Syracuse and Pittsburgh.