Groundbreaking success

As Amon Amarth’s thunderous steps make groundbreaking trajectory in the metal world, they seemed to understand what the secret is to be a successful band; find a formula that works, and stay with it. For seven albums, the Vikings from Sweden have procured ever-growing popularity with their style, live persona, and unique sound and their latest effort, Twilight of the Thunder God, topples over its predecessors.

Since their first album, one thing that has always been evident in Amon Amarth records is that they are not just writing songs that follow a certain structure and forced lyrics. They are actually capturing a mood with their music, and the lyrics are true to their ancestry. Their Pagan beliefs and Viking roots are the main focus, and by encompassing true belief and meaning to their music, Amon Amarth have successfully created a personality that wasn’t forced out of them, like many other bands today.

They convey their style as one unit. They aren’t individuals, but rather one force working to create an aura, that can bring the listener deeper into their music,almost as if into the heart of the battle.

Let me introduce you to the onslaught. Johan Hegg’s screams are among the deepest in metal today, but the clarity of each word is still audible as he bellows soaring choruses and haunting verses. The harmonious twin guitar assault executed by Johan Soderberg and Olavi Mikkonen accent a very complex and triumphant mood that sets a perfect foundation for the premise of victorious battle, the usual topic of Hegg’s lyrics.

Finally, the flawless timing signatures of the bass and drums of Ted Lundstrom and Fredrik Andersson, respectively, provide a galloping rhythm to the songs.

The title track of the album serves as a crushing opener and excellent choice as the first single due to its appealing sound of guitar harmony and thrash-metal rhythm. “Guardians of Asgaard,” a song reminiscent of Fate of Norn’s “Pursuit of Vikings,” is sure to be a crowd pleaser as it delivers head-banging timing and catchy guitar work and vocals.

One can’t refrain from imagining the atmosphere of a march into battle and the soldiers’ thoughts as he’s doing so. This amalgamated aspect of Twilight, as well as most of Amon Amarth’s other albums, allows every song to sound just as good as the last.

They seem to focus on every cut, rather than just having a few potential singles and the rest padding. There is not a dull point in the album.

Twilight of the Thunder God proves to be the most absorbing release they have ever produced by doing what most bands have a hard time doing: being themselves.