Enhancing the metropolitan mission

Here at St. John’s, students are expected to venture out and explore the vast cultural climate that can be found in New York City. The school is so committed to this idea that the Discover New York course is part of the required curriculum for each and every student.

The school manages to achieve the metropolitan aspect of its mission quite well, fostering a sense of city exploration in the entire student body. However, a sense of exploration is not the sole requirement for exploring New York City.

When trying to navigate this vast urban jungle, the key item that a person need is an MTA Metrocard. The Metrocard has money on it solely for the purpose of riding the buses or subway system.

Without a Metrocard (or enough money to pay countless cab fares), getting around the city would be near impossible. Although cheaper than other alternatives, the Metrocard can still be expensive.

As time goes on and trips pile up, the amount of money one spends on Metrocards can be equal to or even greater than the cost of eating.

Wouldn’t it be nice if worrying about the cost of the cards and how much fare was on them could just disappear?

Most view that as a sort of fantasy, but it could be more realistic than they think. Unlimited Metrocards do exist, but few students take advantage of the offer.

Maybe they do not know about them or how to obtain them, or maybe the cost makes them shy away from the offer. Whatever the reason, the sheer potential of this untapped resource is
exciting.

There are three types of unlimited Metrocards. The 1-Day Fun Pass costs $7.50, which is more than worth the cost for a day of exploring Manhattan, especially after the eighth non-transfer trip. There is also a 7-Day, 14-Day, and 30-Day Unlimited Ride pass at $25, $47, and $81 respectively.

While the cost of the higher end passes may be a deterrent for students, they are more intended for regular commuters. The lower cost Unlimited Metrocards would end up saving money for students who make multiple trips into the city each week.

Providing students with Metrocards would allow them to truly immerse themselves in the culture and spirit of New York City.

Their money could be spent on Broadway plays, visiting numerous sites, eating at the various culinary wonders that abound in the city, and maybe even on a few “I heart NY” shirts instead of transportation.

While it may be true that Metrocards are cheap, they add up over a long period of time. Eliminating the amount of leisure money spent on transportation would almost certainly enhance the lives and experiences of students.

In every aspect of the University, St. John’s seeks to acclimate students to a new style of life. Providing Metrocards to its students would just be another extension of this, helping students grow more comfortable in their new environment and giving them an even greater opportunity to experience the variety that New York City has to offer.

It would be a service to students and to the University to adopt a Metrocard provision program. By doing so, the school would enhance its DNY program and the metropolitan aspect of
its mission.