Summer in the City

New York City is a cultural hub of America, boasting more options for entertainment, food and shopping than almost any other city. With so many options, finding the best of the best is a challenge that takes much longer than you might anticipate. If you’re new to New York, or if you’ve lived here all your life, there are so many cool things to see and do this summer. In an attempt to help you narrow that list of hundreds down to the must-sees and must-dos, Inferno has compiled a handy guide to New York City. We’ve listed our favorite lunch spots, shopping steals, nights out, and most importantly, our favorite ice cream places.

There’s no better way to learn about the city than by going out and exploring it yourself. You’ll find that every borough and every neighborhood has its own distinctive style and atmosphere. Will you be most attracted to the laid-back, artsy feel of the East Village? Or is it the bustling excitement of Midtown that strikes your fancy? Each part of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx and Staten Island has something different to offer, so living in New York City gives you the rare opportunity to find yourself in a completely different world every time you step off of the subway. Whatever it is that you want, you’ll find it in New York.

In the Inferno, we tried to compile a list that represents many of the different neighborhoods in New York, but of course, the only way to find out what’s really out there is to go see it for yourself. So, if you’ve already maxed out your credit cards at the shopping sites that have been put together for you, take an adventure on the subway and get lost in a place you’ve never been before. You’ll never find yourself lost somewhere that doesn’t offer anything to see and do.

If it’s your first time in New York City, be sure to check out some of the great attractions that you’ve already heard about. Send pictures to your family of the middle of Times Square, the Empire State Building, or the Statue of Liberty. Spending a day seeing all of “the sights” might make you feel like a tourist, but those locations are definitely popular for a reason.

While you’re out and about, you’ll be amazed with the amount and variety of food that New York has to offer. On just one street you might find Hungarian, Mexican, Greek, French and Indian food. Take a risk with your tastebuds and go for something you’ve never had the chance to sample before-there might be a few duds every now and again, but that scary-looking Moroccan place that you venture into one night could easily turn out to be your new favorite eatery.

And for desert, try to find one of those ice cream palaces that get rave reviews. You can never go wrong with a creamy, rich, delicious end to the day. Unless, of course, you happen to be lactose-intolerant, in which case you’ll be happy to know that there are plenty of sorbet options all around the city.

Once you’ve spent a few months exploring all that New York City’s five boroughs have to offer, you’re sure to compile your own list of favorites. Until then, check out the places that we reccommend, and have a
great summer vacation!