Investiture For President Gemepesaw

Talia Tirella, News Editor
October 30, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

... Read More »

St. John’s addresses sexual assault

St. John’s addresses sexual assault

Talia Tirella, News Editor
October 23, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Nationally, the number of reported sexual assaults has increased over the past few years. Sexual assault on college campuses is a hot-button topic, and St. John’s is not immune to the issue. In 2013, there were six reported forcible sex offenses on campus, including five taking place in on-campus... Read More »

Anti-poverty activist Jim Ziolkowski visits St. John’s for Founder’s Week

Talia Tirella, News Editor
October 13, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Would you ever leave a comfortable corporate job to devote your life to others? Jim Ziolkowski did. A native of Jackson, Michigan, Ziolkowski attended Michigan State University and graduated cum laude with a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, according to his Facebook page and the buildOn website, respectively. His... Read More »

Climate conference features various topics, discussion of solutions

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 24, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

The St. John’s Manhattan campus held workshops as part of the NYC Climate Convergence conference on Sept. 20. Speakers from various activist groups, including System Change not Climate Change, Move to Amend, International Socialist Organization NYC and the Alliance for Global Justice gave various... Read More »

Across the SPECTRUM

Across the SPECTRUM

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 24, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

There is now a formally recognized LGBTQ group at St. John’s.  It’s called Spectrum, and they say they intend to focus on inclusiveness, increasing awareness and their four pillars of support, education, service and faith. Although the Spectrum group itself has been two years in the making, the... Read More »

Q&A: President Gempesaw

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 17, 2014
Filed under News

The following questions are taken directly from the half hour Torch interview with Dr. Gempesaw. What do you like about St. John’s the most? “The passion and the commitment of the faculty and staff. In the first couple of weeks, I’ve invited several of our employees to the house just... Read More »

Gempesaw: Importance of International Students

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 17, 2014
Filed under News

University President Gempesaw recently led a conference centered around the role international students play in America’s higher education. The conference titled "The Role of the International Student," sponsored by The New York Times took place on Sept. 9.  The topic of this year’s conference... Read More »

New president will focus on enrollment and financial support

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 10, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

It's history in the making.  Dr. Conrado "Bobby" Gempesaw is the 17th president of St. John's and the first layperson to hold the distinguished role. Gempesaw's tenure began July 1 after the Presidential Search Committee conducted a six-month search for the University's next president.  His... Read More »

Santangelo named Associate Vice President of Campus Ministry

Talia Tirella, News Editor
September 10, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Tori Santangelo, a St. John's graduate, is now the associate vice president of Campus Ministry.  She will now oversee various programs and activities that Campus Ministry is in charge of. Santangelo is known for her time as a St. John's volleyball player, but she was also involved with Campus Ministry... Read More »

Spring Fling Carnival helps students relax before finals

Talia Tirella, News Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

This year's Spring Week included a student favorite: the Spring Fling Carnival, which was held on Friday.  Students gathered on the Great Lawn to enjoy the free rides, activities and food. The Carnival included traditional rides, such as a Ferris wheel, slides, bumper cars, a swing carousel and bungee... Read More »

“Through the eyes of a colleague”

Talia Tirella, News Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under News

St. John’s new president, Dr. Conrado Gempesaw, will start his term July 1.  So far, all of the details about our new president have been strictly academic related, but it is also important to know him as a person. Jerome Conley, dean of University Libraries at Miami University of Ohio, spoke to... Read More »

“It’s Been A Great Year” President Fr. Levesque

Talia Tirella, News Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Rev. Joseph Levesque, C.M., took over as university president last August after Rev. Harrington’s resignation.  Fr. Levesque has served as the University’s interim president for this past school year, but will leave office when Dr. Conrado Gempesaw takes over as president July 1. The Torch sat... Read More »

St. John’s elects 17th President, Conrado M. Gempesaw

Talia Tirella, News Editor
April 16, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Last week, the St. John’s Presidential Search Committee and Board of Trustees announced that Conrado M. Gempesaw, Ph.D., will be the 17th president of the University. He is the first layperson to be appointed to this role, which has traditionally been filled by Vincentian priests. Gempesaw is also... Read More »

Colbert Chaplain chats about “Jesus,” Holy Land travels

Talia Tirella, News Editor
April 9, 2014
Filed under News

Father James Martin, S.J., recently spoke at St. John’s about his new book, “Jesus: a Pilgrimage,” and his travels in the Holy Land that inspired the work. His book discusses the process of coming to understand the Gospels as well as Jesus and his nature. During Martin’s visit, he traveled... Read More »

FRESH Perspective For Student Government Inc

Talia Tirella, News Editor
April 9, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News, Top Stories

With... Read More »

Car catches on fire near Hollis Hall

Talia Tirella, News Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under News

... Read More »

IGNITE and FRESH square off in SGI E-Board debate; discuss progress and accountability

Talia Tirella, Assistant News Editor
March 26, 2014
Filed under News

In order to garner student interest as well as votes, candidates running for Student Government, Inc. Executive Board held a debate this past Monday. The two platforms, IGNITE and FRESH, each stated their respective ideas and goals for next year.  IGNITE is aiming for a more progressive St. John's,... Read More »

Young acts showcased on ‘Deans List Tour’

Talia Tirella, Assistant News Editor
March 18, 2014
Filed under Arts & Culture, Arts & Entertainment, Entertainment, Features

The Dean’s List Tour, a forum for underground artists to promote themselves, made a stop in the Little Theatre at St. John’s this past Friday night.  The event featured performances from both St. John’s students and local artists. The tour started in 2012 and has been making stops at over 25... Read More »

SJU Fresh looks to give SGI a new vision

Talia Tirella , Assistant News Editor
March 12, 2014
Filed under News

Junior Robert Koehler, chair of the Budget Committee for Student Government, Inc., is running for SGI president for the 2014-2015 school year. His ticket, which goes by the name SJU FRESH, includes Caroline Zottl for vice president, Domenick Luongo for secretary, Justin Alick for treasurer, Ada Lee... Read More »

Bio Honor Society raises funds for injured student

Talia Tirella, Assistant News Editor
February 26, 2014
Filed under News

The Biology Honor Society held a fundraiser on Friday for sophomore Hayden Nichols, a St. John’s student who was severely injured last semester after falling several stories from a balcony. The Hayden Nichols Fundraiser Dance featured several raffles, food and live entertainment, including a DJ,... Read More »

Presidential Search Committee interviews more than 160 candidates

Talia Tirella, Assistant News Editor
February 26, 2014
Filed under News

The St. John’s Presidential Search Committee has identified more than 160 candidates and an unspecified number have been asked to get interviewed, according to an email sent out by the University on Monday. The committee expressed its gratitude to the University community, saying that the input... Read More »

Bio Honor Society to host dance fundraiser for Hayden Nichols

Talia Tirella, Assistant News Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under News

The Biology Honor Society will be hosting a fundraising dance on Friday in an effort to help Hayden Nichols, a St. John's student who was seriously injured last semester. The Hayden Nichols Fundraiser Dance will feature live entertainment including a DJ, belly dancers and a performance by the... Read More »

Public Safety meets with students in forum

Talia Tirella, Staff Writer
February 5, 2014
Filed under News

Student Government Inc. held open meetings with Public Safety and Residence Life, respectively, last week, to discuss concerns such as the guest sign-in policy, StormCard replacement fees and gate closings. Mark Benavides, vice president of S.G.I., and Brittany O’Neill, co-chair of student services,... Read More »

Scholars raise money for Haiyan victims

Scholars raise money for Haiyan victims

Talia Tirella , Staff Writer
December 4, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, News

As part of the generosity-driven spirit of their program, the Ozanam Scholars presented the third annual OpenMIC Event called “Speak Out!” in order to raise funds for victims of Typhoon Haiyan that devastated the Philippines in early November. The event, which took place on Dec. 2, included singing,... Read More »

Local author gives post-election recap

Local author gives post-election recap

Talia Tirella, Staff Writer
November 13, 2013
Filed under News

Award-winning journalist and author Greg David spoke and participated in a discussion at the Little Theater about the future of New York City and the impact that each mayoral administration has had on the history of the city since the late 1960s on Thursday. David has a blog and writes a weekly column... Read More »

Students can now use the Zipcar

Talia Tirella , Staff Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under News

Students on campus will be able to use and enjoy the self-service car sharing service, Zipcar starting Nov. 7. The University partnered with Zipcar to become one of many universities that offer car-rental service.  This partnership will give students and faculty alike an eco-friendly and convenient... Read More »

De Blasio becomes NYC’s 109th mayor

Talia Tirella, Staff Writer
November 6, 2013
Filed under News

Democratic nominee Bill de Blasio became the 109th mayor in New York City’s history in a landslide victory over Republican candidate Joe Lhota. Bill de Blasio, the former Public Advocate, was leading all mayoral polls after the primaries, leaving little suspense at the conclusion of the election. However,... Read More »

University gears up for Dribble for the Cure

Talia Tirella, Contributing Writer
September 25, 2013
Filed under News, Sports

St. John’s will host Dribble for the Cure to benefit the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation for a third straight year as part of University Service Day this Saturday, Sept. 28. St. John’s Hall of Famers Lou Carnesseca and Jack Kaiser announced earlier this month that they would again contribute... Read More »

Security council talks Syria

Security council talks Syria

Talia Tirella, Contributing Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under News

The five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council met to negotiate a draft of a resolution that would hold Syria to its pledge of identifying all chemical weapons in their government’s possession yesterday, according to The New York Times. Several diplomats, who declined to be identified,... Read More »

13 dead in Washington, D.C.

13 dead in Washington, D.C.

Talia Tirella, Contributing Writer
September 18, 2013
Filed under News

13 people died following a shooting rampage at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters in Washington, D.C. on Monday. The reported gunman, Aaron Alexis, 34, went on a two-hour rampage, killing 12 before D.C. police officers eventually shot him dead, according to Reuters. Authorities said that... Read More »