Best Study Spots Around Campus

Proving the Princeton Review wrong one caption at a time

Once upon a time, The Princeton Review labeled SJU the college where “Students Study The Least.” Whether you laughed or scoffed, this is a scarlet letter no Johnnie wants to be branded with by future employers.

So, to prove them wrong, let’s get the studying started early! Here are the top five off-campus locations you’ll want to hit up when campus spots just aren’t cutting it.

TORCH PHOTO/ARIANA ORTIZ
Cats Cafe

Sweet Cats Cafe (168-17 Union Tpke)

Price: $$

Quiet: Yes

Wifi: Yes (ask for login)

Bathroom: Yes

Recently revamped, Sweet Cats greets visitors with an elegant garden heralded by Top 40 covers and Asian pop. Even if you’re not a tea party person, their selection of refreshments will astound you, particularly their Instagram-worthy Galaxy Yakult drink.

The place is incredibly study-friendly, boasting free wifi, a bathroom and a $1 bubble tea and coffee sale from 4-6 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

TORCH PHOTO/ARIANA ORTIZ
Dunkin Donuts

Dunkin’ Donuts (168-22 Union Tpke)

Price: $

Quiet: Usually

Wifi: No

Bathroom: Yes

Known as “the Dunkin’ outside St. John’s,” this location is open 24 hours a day, making it perfect for all-nighters. It offers a wider space and range of refreshments than the Marillac location while retaining the ambiance.

Conveniently situated near 7/11 and Double J’s, you needn’t travel far to find your other favorites. Be mindful of eating outside foods without a purchase; employees won’t hesitate to boot you out.

Poke Coffee (176-37 Union Tpke)

Price: $$$

Quiet: Yes

Wifi: Yes (1 hour limit; ask for login)

Bathroom: Yes (ask for key)

While the rustic cafe’s prices are relatively high, it’s the closest to campus. A blend of soothing singer-songwriter/Asian pop songs and the sweet aroma wafting throughout the store will massage your hardworking brain, making the extra cost worth it.

From their signature eggettes to Instagram-worthy light bulb drinks, you’re in for a total treat.

TORCH PHOTO/ARIANA ORTIZ
Crepe N Tearia

Crepe’N’Tearia (177-7 Union Tpke)

Prices: $$

Quiet: Yes

Wifi: Yes

Bathroom: Yes

Crepe’N’Tearia is your go-to for crepes, ranging from delectable desserts to mouthwatering meals. While the crepes are on the pricier end of the broke-college-student budget, you’ll find yourself delighted if you’ve got extra cash.

As you settle in to study, take in the light Top 40 and Asian pop music and even give their giant ball chair a try!

Bagels ‘N Cream Cafe (8002 Surrey Pl)

Prices: $$

Quiet: Usually

Caffeine: Yes

Wifi: Yes

Bathroom: Yes

Though the farthest location from campus, it’s worth the trip over. You won’t find such an intimidating variety of bagels and desserts elsewhere, nor panorama seating accompanied by old school classics. It’s also the most spacious of the stores on this list, providing relief for those feeling cramped at smaller locations. Should you need a break, TJ Maxx is close by for leg stretching and window shopping.