Country singer Kara Zack warms up Java Johnnies

Java Johnnies starts off the year with spirit

Once again, the Resident Student Association (RSA) hosted a fun community event at Java Johnnies in the D’Angelo Center (DAC), on Friday, Sept. 8.

Friday’s event offered complimentary food and drinks, Dunkin’ Donuts coffee, hot chocolate, Baskin Robbins ice cream sandwiches decorated with Johnny Thunderbird served by Johnny himself, as well as a game of Pictionary with Johnny and of course a live performance by country singer Kara Zack.

Kara Zack sang and played the guitar for an hour with a very versatile set list. She sang her own original songs off of her EP, “Heartbreaker,” and covers from all different types of artists, ranging from Ed Sheeran to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Java Johnnies has always tried to introduce new, varied artists to the St. John’s campus. “We try to do a different artist every week, so we try to get country, jazz, any type of different artist,” the President of RSA, Roderick Jackson, said, and already in the first official week of school RSA has introduced Kara Zack, a relatively unknown singer to St. John’s, and students seemed to enjoy it.

Cynthia Ng, senior, sand praises for Kara Zack, saying “I think the singer’s voice is very magical and makes me feel sentimental.”

The performer, Kara Zack, also enjoyed St. John’s as much as students enjoyed her music. She said, “This was so fun… Everyone seemed really into it, and the campus is beautiful, and everyone seemed so nice, so I was really excited to come here.”

Everyone had fun at Java Johnnies, and Chandler Bishop, sophomore, summarized it perfectly, “I think it’s really cute what they did. The ice cream is really good, and having Johnny and everyone come together really creates a fun environment, especially after a long week of classes.”

Students support Java Johnnies for different reasons. Victoria Carella, freshman, said she enjoyed it because it “is a really nice thing to do with friends,” and Jeremy Mesias, sophomore, said, “I feel like this is just a good way to support the St. John’s community and a good way to get involved.”

Many students look forward to future Java Johnnies. “I think Java Johnnies has stepped up their game this semester, so I’m looking forward to what else they have in store for us,” Amanda Sylvain said.

If you’re like Amanda Sylvain, Java Johnnies is every Friday in the DAC living room with food, drinks and performances.