“The Future of Sports”: A Modern Way to Play

Torch Photo/Cecelia Germain

The world of sports fosters relationships amongst various types of people around the globe. Athletics forges a camaraderie between fellow sports lovers and has an unspoken language all its own. But what happens when art is thrown into the mix, and how could this affect the way various people interact?

Just off the corner of North 9th Street in Brooklyn, sits a humble neon green building that displays in bold white lettering: “The Future of Sports.” Within these walls sits a space designed to cultivate interactions that blur the lines between culture and sports. Creatives, sports enthusiasts and everyone in between can connect with one another through the various activities and events held in this intimate space.

This event is the brainchild of Nicole Pinedo, the founder of the online publication and marketing firm “Made in the District.” As a former athlete herself, who spent a lot of time in and out of soccer stadiums watching her father play professionally, she wanted to create an immersive experience that combined the world of sports with an artistic twist.

On Nov. 1, attendees were able to experience the activations and test out this immersive experience at the premiere. Hosted by social media personality and dance sensation, Shiggy, the event featured influencers, creative professionals and many others that were able to get an exclusive pass to venture inside and explore the interactive gallery. Other talented artists were also surveying the scene, such as actor and singer-songwriter Mack Wilds and singer Avery Wilson.

Each activation included a different physical activity. One room featured an array of boxing bags with colorful neon lights, where many attendees were capturing boomerangs for their Instagram stories. Just across the way, people also had the opportunity to try out the new spin bikes in a room with lighting that changes colors every few seconds. In addition to an open bar, people enjoyed the booming notes ringing from the speakers of DJ Amrit and DJ Austin Millz. Guests were able to gather a sense of how people could potentially enjoy the taste of art intertwined with a  sport setting. And if spin or boxing is not their thing, the exhibit features a basketball court, two tennis stations and a soccer pad all for the experience goers to enjoy.

“The Future of Sports” is all about utilizing movement to create a sense of community and change. In addition to the activations, the exhibit is also hosting a variety of group exercise classes, such as spin and yoga, throughout its time here in Brooklyn. If someone is not the least bit interested in sports, the space is open for those who want to capture content or be in an inviting space to interact and mingle with friends.  

This one-hour experience will be in Brooklyn from Nov. 2 to Dec. 26. At a cost of around 35 dollars, it welcomes people of all ages, abilities and color to witness the area’s fascinating aesthetic. Children ages two and under are granted free admission into the immersive experience.

While there is no crystal ball to know exactly what the future of sports will look like, this is the beginning of a movement to cultivate those conversations and understand the commonality of people through this enveloping social experiment.