Curated Collections: College Life in Film and TV

A look at campus life through relatable media.

School is back in session for millions of college students across America. Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, all college students understand the change and uncertainty that comes with it— and what better way to relate to it than through film and television. While the mainstream media doesn’t exactly capture the college experience, film and TV portrayals make us laugh and cry, even making students hopeful for their own college journey. Here is a list of five pieces of media that any college student can relate to. 

“The Sex Lives of College Girls” (2021-)

Photo Courtesy / YouTube BINGE

This MAX comedy-drama created by Mindy Kaling navigates many universal college experiences, including roommate dynamics, academic pressure and self-discovery. The series portrays a diverse group of college students from different backgrounds working to find their place at a prestigious institution. The series confronts topics such as LGBTQIA+ issues, romantic relationships and class issues. Its awkward nature reminds students that no college experience is perfect and the higher education journey is a shared one. 

“Community” (2009-2014)

Photo Courtesy / YouTube Community

This beloved NBC comedy follows an unlikely group of friends who come together to create a study group. Set in the fictional Greendale Community College, the show highlights the importance of finding people to make your college experience easier. In “Community,” the study group relies on each other through difficult classes, personal changes and planning post-grad life. The series reminds students that college is done best with those who work to help you succeed.

“Pitch Perfect” (2012)

Photo Courtesy / YouTube Pitch Perfect

While this acclaimed comedy does not exemplify the typical college experience, “Pitch Perfect” highlights the importance of joining clubs and getting involved. The film follows a freshman joining an acapella group as she learns to navigate university life. Whether it be through joining a fraternity or sorority, an athletic team or an acapella group, college is the perfect place to find people who share similar interests as you. Who knows, you might even become a nationally recognized acapella winner. 

“Grown-ish” (2018-)

Photo Courtesy / YouTube Freeform

This Freeform series and “Black-ish” spinoff showcases the college experience through Gen Z’s lens. The show begins with main character Zoey Johnson’s move from home to school and follows her entire college career. The series tackles current social issues, including the Black Lives Matter protests, hook-up culture and the pressure put on athletes. The series reminds viewers that nothing is permanent and college prepares students for the “real world.” 

“Gilmore Girls” (2000-2007)

Photo Courtesy / YouTube anyt1hng

In season four of “Gilmore Girls,” main character Rory Gilmore begins her college career studying English at Yale University. Rory’s college experience was not perfect: she struggled with self-doubt and decided to take a semester off. It reminds viewers that college is not linear and not perfect by any means, further normalizing self-doubt and prioritizing mental health. Rory’s college experience, despite her eventual success, highlights the complexities of the college experience.