SJU community lost 108 alumni on Sept. 11

On the fifth anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, the Torch published a few blurbs about alumni who were killed during the terrorist attacks. St. John’s lost many alumni that day and 12 years later, the community continues to mourn their deaths and remember their lives.
Here is some of what they published:

James Munhall, managing director for Sandler O’Neill and Partners, was 45 years old. He was a 1978 graduate of St. John’s.

James Nelson of Clark, N.J. was a Port Authority officer who began his work at the World Trade Center in 1986. After graduating high school in 1979, he received a full fencing scholarship to St. John’s. Four years later, he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice. Nelson was at the World Trade Center after the 1993 bombing and died at the site in 2001 after being sent to work on Sept. 11.

Scott Kopytko, a three year veteran of the FDNY, was part of one of the first units to reach the towers. He was part of South Street’s Ladder Co. 15. He graduated from St. John’s with honors and a degree in computer science. He worked for several years as a commodities trader for a firm in the World Trade Center, according to the Daily News. But eventually he traded in his suit and briefcase to become a firefighter.

Robert Nagel, 55, a 28-year veteran of the fire department died on Sept. 11. He earned a business degree from St. John’s. He was also a Vietnam veteran, according to The Record (Bergen County, NJ).

Michael Weinstein was on vacation when the World Trade Center, where his sister worked, was attacked. He died trying to find shelter under a firetruck as the towers collapsed around him, according to the Daily News. He was a former member of the St. John’s baseball team.