Students get the WOW treatment

Diana Colapietro
Students enjoying some of the perks of Week of Welcome.

The University hosted its annual Week of Welcome, where students—freshmen, transfer or returning—get acclimated to the campus and can partake in various events designed to start the year with a little fun.

Week of Welcome kicked off on Aug. 31 with the Play Fair and Target Party and ran until Sept. 9.

Shoshana Khan, a sophomore, attended the Twlight Carnival on Aug. 1 which had several games, delicious food and giveaways.

“I liked the carnival, it was pretty cool,” Shoshana said. “The best part was the energy with everyone dancing and of course the free stuff.”

Then on Monday, Sept. 2, there was the Beach Bash. Campus Activities converted the Residence Village into a boardwalk with games, food, music and even sand.

On Tuesday, Sept. 3, the first annual class photo of the incoming freshmen took place. The new freshmen also took part of Convocation.

Khadijah Donaldson, a junior and RA of Henley Road Complex got to attend the first annual class photo and Convocation.

“The freshman photo class went better than I expected, it was beautiful to see the freshman come together to form our school letters,” Khadijah said.

On Wednesday afternoon was St. John’s Fest. It was sponsored by Greek Life, Athletics, S.G.I., Red Zone and Global Studies. Students got the chance to meet campus leaders and get to participate in giveaways, games and free food.

Callista Faria, a junior, was one of the many who attended. “St. John’s Fest was a lot of and really nice to see all of the student body out. I got to be reunited with a lot of my friends,” Callista said.

St. John’s Week of Welcome concluded on Monday afternoon with the Activities Fair on the Great Lawn. There students got to learn about all the academic, cultural, political, religious, honor society, social justice and special interest organizations on campus.