Spooky in the Big Apple: Halloween to-do list

Five tips for you to enjoy Halloween in the Big City

This year, it’s about time to step your Halloween game up from just trick or treating (no shame if you still do it though). New York City always know how to celebrate big dates, and Halloween is no different. We found some of the best events for you to live through some of your greatest fears and then shake it all of and party at the end of the night.

Greenwich Village Halloween Parade

Greenwich Village known for being one of the most eccentric areas in Manhattan, hosts its 42nd annual Halloween Parade along Sixth Ave, starting on Spring Street and finishing on 16th Street from 7-11 p.m.  Colorful floats and their signature giant rod puppets will take over the streets, transforming the area into a Halloween carnival.

Any guests coming in costume are invited to march with the parade, However, those who chose not to dress up can still enjoy watching from the sidelines. The spokesman for Dos Equis beer, known to be “the most interesting man in the world,” will be leading this year’s parade as the Grand Marshall. The event draws thousands of people each year. So, if you plan on attending, be sure to arrive early.

Webster Hell

Once called “the devil’s playground,” Webster Hall host the official Halloween Parade after-party where all four floors will be transformed into a Mausoleum were you might get to dance with the host of the night, the “devil” himself. Fire-welding performers will be stalking the night leading up to the highlight of the event: the (fake) virgin sacrifice, a tradition that found its roots in 1886.  Doors open at 8 p.m. tickets for the event are $75 and guests are advised to purchase their tickets prior to the event. You must be over 19 to take advantage of this opportunity. It sounds pricey, yet worth it.

Blood Manor

Feel the adrenaline pulse through your veins as you let your deepest fears manifest themselves when whirling through the 10-room-maze brimming with gore at New York City’s premiere Halloween Haunted house Blood Manor. Admission starts at $30, and it is recommended to purchase your tickets early.

New York Haunted Hayride

Psychopathic clowns, possesed demons and vengeful spirits are just some of the attractions featured in the New York Haunted Hayride. The attraction that has been stirring up attention in Los Angeles has now found its way to New York City. Take a ride wandering through the woods  to explore a story woven from the nightmares and deepest fears tucked away within our minds and experience what major news outlets such as NBC, FOX, CBS and the Today Show are calling “terrifying and awesome.” General admission prices begin at  $35.

Dia de los Muertos at the New York    Botanical Garden

Known as “The Day of the Dead” in Mexico, the New York Botanical Garden celebrates the Mexican tradition for honoring deceased family members during their Dia de los Muertos celebration on Nov. 1. The New York Botanical Garden brings life to the event by adorning the garden with “larger than life skeletons and butterflies.” You can stroll through the Conservatory Plaza while gazing at the stilt dancers of Los Zanudos de Zaachilda topped off w musical performances. Admission is $22 dollars with a student I.D.