Creating a conscious awakening of the importance of love through new EP

Known for his roles as a tutor at the University Global Language and Culture Center, and as a touring musician with the high-profile SJU Voices of Victory gospel choir, Robert Pope, a jazz degree transfer student from SUNY Purchase, moved to New York City with the hopes of watching all of his dreams come together.

A graduate student working towards a Masters in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing, Pope uses his business techniques to offer himself to the public as an international classically trained musician.

The  University of North Carolina School of the Arts high school program alumnus’ most current music project, a new EP entitled “Energy of Humanity,” “tackles the different aspects of how I see love in life,” according to the musician’s website robpopemusic.com.

“Energy of Humanity” came to into existence as Pope was downtrodden with personal issues. He uses music as a means of uplifting himself.

“Music that is positive makes me feel better. It is an influential tool. If we can get people of all ages to listen to positive music, it makes a huge difference in how people go about living,” Pope said.

“Energy of Humanity,” which is available on Spotify, iTunes and Apple Music, includes an opener entitled “The Soul.” This highlights Pope’s spiritual musical style and showcases his vocal, saxophone and composition skills. Additionally, “The Soul” is lyrically considered to be a summation of the EP itself.

“Letter to Self” addresses importance of self-love and being conscious of our purpose on Earth. “Little Black Boy” deals with current issues concerning African-American young men who, having died questionable deaths committed by systematic forces set in place, have become a trend in the American media.

The last track on the EP, “Freedom,” speaks about love in relationships. One of Pope’s main takeaways from “Energy of Humanity” is that freedom can be found within love and relationships with God, but also significant others.

Having written the EP with religious love in mind, Pope’s “Freedom” sends the message that God’s love is encompassing, merciful and all-forgiving.

“Whether it’s our relationship with God or to a significant other, there’s a freedom in knowing that no matter the situation, everything is still going to work out for our good. In other words, this freedom is based on trust and faith because of the Love on which it is founded,” Pope said.

He describes “Energy of Humanity” as a participant in what he describes as a newly founded “conscious awakening of how important love and respect [is] for one another.”

“Energy of Humanity” serves as a socially present reminder to “do all things out of love.” You can catch Pope’s first performance with songs off the EP on Monday, May 16 at the Bowery Electric in Manhattan.