Annual Spring Week set to unite St. John’s community

St. John’s annual Spring Week is here and larger than ever. The week-long, jam-packed celebration highlights the recent wave of spring weather, the end of the school year and St. John’s students.

“It’s to show appreciation for students,” president of Student Programming Board (SPB) Merima Musanovic said. Musanovic plays a large role in coordinating the Spring Carnival.

The carnival will take place on Friday, April 24 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., and will include bumper cars, a ferris wheel, prizes, food and even a fitness challenge.

Freshman Alexis Volonakis looks forward to attending the carnival for her first time.

“The whole idea of actual crazy, huge rides and a carnival sounds really awesome,” Volonakis explained.

On April 22, Battle of the Voices will be celebrating its third year with four finalists. These finalists will be competing for a $1,000 dollar prize provided by the Resident Students Association (RSA), a photo shoot, a music video shoot and studio time arranged by media and arts company Mindllezz Thoughtz.

Battle of the Voices first started three years ago, when then president of RSA wanted a singing competition that could  unite the St. John’s student body and promote talent on campus.

The current Vice President of RSA Gabe Sanchez agreed with this idea. “Showcasing people’s talent through the competition is a good way of bringing everybody together,” Sanchez said.

Freshman Kaila Sanchez plans to attend the event because she enjoys hearing others sing.

“I like to hear people sing,” she said. “I think that’s really entertaining.”

For this year’s Battle of the Voices, the four finalists will be students Dominique Branch, Indeah Woods, Iniko Dixon and Sarah Giordano.

On April 23, St. John’s will be hosting its very own “Johnny Square,” on Taffner Lawn where students will be able to “experience the tastes, sights and sounds of New York City’s bustling streets right here at St. John’s,” according to the University website.

“An event that looks really interesting is Johnny Square,” Volonakis said. “I just like going to these opportunities like this to meet new people; It’s a really good way to branch out and experience everything.”

Later on in the day, Fashion Club will host their fashion show called, “Dimensions: Art, Fashion, Identify,” in Carnesecca Arena.

According to the University website, students will be able to “enjoy a night of high fashion and art,” while also seeing “a variety of designers, vendors, and displays.”

Musanovic believes that Spring Week is a calming way to escape from all the chaos of finals.

“It’s a great way to relax before finals and to enjoy the weather,” she said.

St. John’s senior and Student Government Incorporated, Senior Senator Ada Lee, agrees and lists Spring Week as one of her favorite events at St. John’s.

“It is one of many annual events that the students all know about and look forward to,” Lee said in an email interview. “Spring Week unites the student body like no other. All students on campus, regardless of differences, come together solely to enjoy each other’s company and the last big events of the year.”