Painting with a Purpose

Amanda Negretti

The Nu Mu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. hosted their Powerful Women Paint event on Wednesday, March 29 in Marillac Terrace.

Around 30 students came to show support for women empowerment and paint what they felt.

The purpose of the event was to have participants sip and paint to artistically express how they feel about the numerous contributions women have made in society. Proceeds made from the event are being donated to Relay for Life.

“We have to stick together because people already look down on us, especially as black women. It’s hard to get support especially if you’re black, so it’s important for women to help each other out and empower one another,” junior Bryanna Chung, who painted a black girl with words of positivity around her head, said.

The ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. hosted a variety of events during Women’s History Month to show the student body how women have succeeded in and contributed to society.

“We want people to paint what they feel. To envision, find meaning and inspiration and put that into their painting,” senior and vice president of the organization since spring 2015, Danisa Foote, said.

She also explained how being in a sorority has changed her perception on women empowerment.

“Events like this is what makes us as women understand each other’s struggle,” junior Angelica Iacono-Henderson said.

The event included drinks, cookies and strawberries. Once students were finished painting, they had the opportunity to explain the meaning behind their painting and get their picture taken.