Our Own ‘Pitch’ Winner

PHOTO COURTESY/REZA MORENO
Verdile’s senior graphic design project took first prize.

The University’s first Pitch Johnny competition held its third and final round of pitches Saturday, Nov. 11 with first prize awarded to the Torch’s design editor, Steven Verdile.

The senior won $600 for “Stuff Your Dorm,” a concept he created for his senior graphic design project. Verdile described it as a service that would allow incoming students to shop for all of their dorm needs online. They would then be able to have it all shipped directly to their dorm room. The project included a functioning web prototype, video commercials, and social media profiles.

“Moving into college is a really stressful experience,” he said. “In my four years here at St. John’s I’ve moved 10 times. My goal with this project was to make that process easier for future students.”

More than 35 teams competed for a chance at cash prizes and access to the College of Professional Studies Innovation Lab.

Timothy Turane won runner-up with his service for people to find nearby paralegals and Aries Bellemiel won third place with her hair product to make hair grow faster and provide protection from the sun.