SJU to Hold Panel on Gun Violence Wednesday

St. John’s will host a panel on gun violence at the Little Theatre Wednesday Jan. 24 from 7 to 9 PM. The event, held in collaboration with a local newspaper, the Queens Tribune, will feature five panelists and will be moderated by SJU Law School Vice Dean and Professor Larry Cunningham.

“Basically it’s going to be kind of a free-flowing conversation about the second amendment, gun control issues, your rights, are those rights still prevalent in this era of almost weekly mass shootings,” Brian Browne, executive director for University Relations, said. “I think this is going to be a good event.”

Browne, who also serves as the Assistant Vice President for Government Relations at the University said he was approached by the Tribune about working together to execute the event on campus.

“This is an issue that…It impacts all of us, here in America. It’s worth having  the conversation no matter which side of the gun control debate you’re on,” Browne said.

Panelists for the event include George Grasso, a supervising judge in the Criminal Court of the City of New York, Gene Lopez, a supervising judge for the Criminal Term in Queens, Francesco Catarisano, an assistant district attorney in the Kew Gardens Trial Bureau, Steve Wasserman of the Legal Aid Society and Oleg Chernyavsky, director of legislative affairs for the New York Police Department.

Browne said attendees will also have the opportunity to ask questions during the discussion. The event is free and open to all students.