Going Against Your Parent’s Dreams

There is a long history of students being forced into majors and careers because of their parents. Parents see it as a way for their children to succeed and get somewhere in life. However, this is not a decision for parents to make.

Growing up, I always said that I wanted to be a doctor and my parents were always excited by the idea. They bought me play pretend doctor kits and books about medicine.

If I ever contemplated another career, they’d steer me back in the direction of medicine probably thinking that it would be better for me.  

Coming into college, I initially majored in biology and I absolutely hated it. It was not at all what I expected and I again began to question if this was something I really wanted to do with my life.

I decided that I would switch to another interest of mine: government. When I brought the decision up to my parents, I would definitely say that it was not something they were too keen on.

After several long discussions, they came around to see my side of it. I’m thankful that my parents were able to see my side of things, however, others may not be as lucky.

What parents do not understand is that it won’t be them stuck in a career they don’t like for the rest of their lives, it’s their children.

You can pick and choose everything for your children but at some point that has to stop.

I strongly believe that if you have a genuine passion for something, then pursue it. You will love the idea of getting up every day to do what you love and care about, not something someone chose for you.

With that in mind, if you feel that it is necessary for you to do something in regards to your life and your career, then go ahead and do it. Parents get upset in the moment but eventually, they all come around because they do want what is best for you.

In terms of getting financial support from your parents, if you feel passionate enough about a path that your parents are not a fan of, then you need to make sure that you are willing to go the lengths to succeed in whatever it is you are trying to do.

If my parents did not support me in my switch from biology to government, I would have done what I believe is necessary to make sure I get the degree that will satisfy me. Whether it’s applying for more scholarships or taking on more hours at work, I would have done that.

My parents did not have the same opportunities that I do coming to America from a third world country and they both weren’t able to finish college. They now use that to push my sister and me to do the best we can in school and make sure we get college degrees.

While their intentions are good, their execution in getting us to that point is not.