Is Black Friday Honestly Worth All the Hassle?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The interior of a mall in Virginia in 2007, showing how hectic how holiday shopping can be.

Photo Courtesy/Wikimedia Commons/James Li

Sara Rodia, Staff Writer

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, another popular day is right on its heels: Black Friday.

For those of you who may not know, Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving where stores across the country have huge discounts on products.

Take a look online and you’ll already begin to see deals popping up or previews of the deals that are going to be offered on Black Friday. However, there’s one big question regarding this day —  is it worth the hassle? Personally, I think it is most certainly worth the hassle.

While, yes, there are a lot of people and you often have to get there early to get the really good deals, what you walk away with at the end of the day makes it worth it.

For me, Black Friday is when I purchase all of my electronics. Last year, I purchased my MacBook for 20 percent off the original price. For expensive electronics such as computers, tablets or phones, these savings can be very beneficial.

It’s important to look online prior to Thanksgiving to find the best sales and when they start. It is not unusual for these sales to start either early Friday morning or even on Thanksgiving night.

My father and my brother went one year to stand in line late Thanksgiving night for an iPad sale that began at midnight.

On top of the great deals you find on Black Friday, it’s also an enjoyable time to have with your friends.

I’ve been going out on Black Friday every year with my friends for the past several years. It’s a tradition for us now. This is especially important for us now that we’re in college and don’t see each other as often as we used to.

If you don’t feel up to going out on Black Friday, to find these deals, you can also shop online on Cyber Monday. Cyber Monday is the Monday following Thanksgiving where you can find large discounts on products online.

Cyber Monday is a great alternative for people who don’t want to go out on Black Friday, as you get very similar deals while avoiding the trouble of going out into the masses.

Personally, I enjoy going out on Black Friday and shopping online on Cyber Monday, making the most of the two. If you’ve never ventured out on Black Friday, I suggest you grab some friends and make the trip out this year.