Women’s soccer suffers heartbreak versus Brown

Last Friday evening, Sept. 5, the Red Storm seemed to be headed to the second overtime of the young season as the Brown University Bears faced off against the St. John’s women’s soccer team at Belson Stadium.

In the match’s 88th minute, however, Brown freshman Mikela Waldman was able to rise to the occasion and send those in attendance home on time. Capitalizing on a missed free kick, Waldman seized the rebound and proceeded to score the first goal of her college career, securing a 2-1 victory for Brown and handing St. John’s its first home loss in almost two calendar years.

In the game’s first minutes things appeared to be going rather well for St. John’s with Jen Gibbons finding Rachel Daly, last season’s leading scorer in the nation, in the 11thminute. Following an impressive sequence, Daly was able to break free and find the back of the net for the first goal of the game.

Any sense of jubilation that the Red Storm might have felt in the earlier portion of period, however, was eventually extinguished in the game’s 30th minute.  It was then that Brown was able to even the score, at 1-1, following an assist from Waldman to Chloe Cross, the Bear’s leading scorer of 2013.

In the period’s final 15 or so minutes Brown was unable to get any additional shots on goal and St. John’s attempted another two, but both times, freshman goalie Mallory Yant was able to protect the net and kept the two teams even going into the half, eventually finishing the evening with six saves.

Both teams’ inability to produce goals only seemed to be exacerbated by the humidity of the night, which appeared to sap the energy of many of those on the field, and the almost gridiron style of extreme physicality, which produced a combined 30 total fouls. The evening’s chippy play wasn’t without its casualties as Rachel Daly left in the 38th minute of play and did not return until the 55th minute, following extensive treatment on the sideline.

After the match, St. John’s head coach Ian Stone said, “She [Daly] seems fine.” He went on to voice concerns about the match’s officiating. “It’s a little bit of a contradiction sometimes, because she doesn’t get protected as much as she should by referees, but at the same time he keeps calling everything else.”

After the late goal which would win Brown the contest, St. John’s attempted a valiant comeback with a returned Daly appearing to score a goal; however, officials called the goal offside.

After the Red Storm’s loss to Brown, which drops them to 3-2-0 on the season, St. John’s will be traveling to Tallahassee to square off with Florida State, 2013’s national runner-up, on Sept. 8.