Men’s Basketball Preview

With last year’s March Madness run, the St. John’s women’s basketball team has now qualified for the NCAA Tournament five years in a row. The Red Storm toted a 23-11 overall record last season and look to improve on an already impressive benchmark.

The Red Storm’s 2014-15 schedule was released on Sept. 11 and proves to be another grueling gauntlet for St. John’s.

“This year’s conference schedule proves once again why the BIG EAST continues to be one of the premier leagues in the nation,” head coach Joe Tartamella said.

St. John’s starts their season at Yale on Nov. 15, taking on the Bulldogs in historic Payne-Whitney Gymnasium. This is the first ever match-up between the schools. Last season the Bulldogs finished with a 13-15 record.

In the most anticipated game of the season, the Red Storm will battle the defending National Champion Connecticut Huskies at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 4. Just two years ago, St. John’s shocked the world as they snapped UConn’s 99 home game win streak. It was Shenneika Smith who sank a game-winning 3-pointer with eight seconds left to cap a historic 57-56 upset.

Incoming top-rated freshmen such as Tamesha Alexander, Imani Littleton, Crystal Simmons and Tonoia Wade will provide depth for the Red Storm during the arduous season.

“We have 18 games against some of the best competition that the NCAA has to offer,” Tartamella said.