Women’s Soccer Rolls Through First Week of Conference Play

The St. John’s women’s soccer team started off Big East play with a bang this week. They shutout both Xavier and Creighton in a pair of tough road games for their first two conference wins.


The Red Storm first kicked off conference play on Thursday night, as they traveled to Ohio for a matchup with the Xavier Musketeers.


Although St. John’s was able to control much of the first half, outshooting Xavier 7-3, they were unable to push across a goal, and the game would go into the half scoreless. But that would change just minutes into the second, after freshman forward Shea Connors delivered her third goal of the season in the 48th minute to give the Red Storm a 1-0 lead.


After the match, Red Storm head coach Ian Stone would have nothing but praise for his spectacular freshman. “Shea is a very talented player and a great finisher. We’re lucky to have her at St. John’s,” Stone said. “I always expected big things from her and am very happy with how she is progressing.”


St. John’s would continue to pressure the Musketeers after taking the lead, eventually culminating with a goal from another freshman, midfielder Allie Moar, in the 70th minute. The 2-0 result would hold for the game’s final 20 minutes, giving the Red Storm their first conference victory of the year. This would be the second straight year that St. John’s has opened up Big East play with a win over Xavier.


Coach Stone was very happy with his team’s stellar performance after the game, saying it was “not only a fantastic road win but an excellent, whole team performance on both sides of the ball.”


Next in store for St. John’s would be a trip to Omaha, Neb. for a tough Sunday matinee against the Creighton Blue Jays, who came into the game leading the conference with 8 wins. In a game full of action that featured 34 total shots, 18 of them going to Creighton, senior forward Marisa Ammaturo would strike first for the Red Storm in the 36th minute.


After taking a 1-0 lead deep into the second half, things would get interesting in the final minute for St. John’s after Creighton had a chance to score off a corner kick. But sophomore goalkeeper Diana Poulin would be able to make the stop, securing the shutout victory.


Poulin would end up making four saves for the Red Storm on her way to her third straight shutout. St. John’s has now gone 293 straight minutes of action without allowing a goal in a streak that goes back all the way to Sept. 14.

“Our back four is really coming together nicely,” Stone would reiterate, “Diana is improving in confidence with every game.”


The two conference wins this week have the Red Storm sitting at the top of the Big East standings so far. They’ll return home to Belson Stadium this Thursday night for a matchup with Marquette.