Men’s and women’s golf begin the fall slate

Men finish last, women finish 14th

After nearly a five-month break, both the St. John’s men’s and women’s golf teams competed in their first tournament of the season over the weekend.

The men’s side finished last at the Doc Gimmler held on the Bethpage State Park Red Course in Long Island on Sunday. The Red Storm was led by three of their freshman. Seung Yub Baek in his tournament debut carded a 215 (+5) to tie for 27th place. Troy Evans continued to improve by one stroke in each of the three rounds finishing the the Doc Gimmler tied for 29th and a total score of 216 (+6).

Jonathan Spicci shot an impressive eight strokes better Sunday to register a 72 (+2) and finished at 232 (+22) after finishing consecutive rounds of 80 (+10) on Saturday.

Among the other teams competing in the Tri-State were Colgate, Columbia, Yale, St. Thomas Aquinas and the U.S. Military Academy. Yale won its third straight Doc Gimmler title on Sunday with a final score of 825 (-15) and 13 strokes better than second place Johnson & Wales (Fla.).

The next contest will be held at the Erin Hills Intercollegiate hosted by Big East rival Marquette on Oct. 4-6.

Meanwhile, on the women’s side, coach Ambry Bishop’s team finished 14th at the Towson Invitational in Maryland.  Finishing with a team score of 665 (+89), the Johnnies finished ahead of other East Coast teams such as  Navy, Hampton, Fairfield, LIU Brooklyn and Delaware State.

Senior Anna Kim led the way earning her 10th straight top-20 finish dating back to last season. Junior Saskia Sterud finished with a score of 80 (+8) followed by an 81 (+9) over a two-day span. The Norway native finished tied for 29th. Freshman Lydia Kim scored a total of 171 (+27) while Kirsty Beckwith finished at 175 (+31).

The hometown team Towson would captured the title by two strokes over Fairleigh Dickinson, finishing with a score of 618 (+42). Fairleigh Dickinson’s freshman Anneke Stobach took home the individual crown after finishing with a shot of 149 (+5).

St. John’s will compete at the Rutgers Women’s Invitational this weekend in Piscataway, N.J.