St. John’s breezes in North Carolina, Stone gets No. 200

St. John’s women’s soccer (7-1) came out on top at the UNCW Hilton Garden Inn Mayfaire Invitational in North Carolina as the Red Storm beat both Campbell (4-2) and Richmond (2-4) this weekend.

Head coach Ian Stone continued to etch his name in the record books as he won his 200th career game on Sunday as the St. John’s  beat Richmond 3-0.

When asked about his 200th win, Coach Ian Stone said, “I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to work with such groups of amazing student-athletes for so long. I am very grateful for the Administration of St. John’s University Athletics. I appreciate every player and staff member that has helped me to reach this milestone.”

On Friday evening, Red Storm senior captain, Emily Cubbage scored her first goal of the season on a header in the 35th minute off of a corner kick by fellow senior Shelby Halasz. It would be the lone goal of the game resulting in the fifth shout of the season by   goalkeepers Katie DeVault and Diana Poulin.

“We spend a lot of time on our back four shape,” Stone said on the teams defense. “The 5 or 6 players that rotate through those positions are playing very well together. We are fortunate to have two of the best goalkeepers for St. John’s here at the same time.”

St. John’s offense really shined on Sunday as they outshoot Campbell 12-5 and eight of those shots were on goal.

Senior Rachel Daly scored two goals, her fourth and fifth on the year,  against the Spiders along with freshman Claudia Cagnina, who scored her first collegiate goal to lead the Red Storm the victory.

Daly’s first goal came in the  third minute as she corralled and was able to square up a  corner kick by senior Alexis Urbanski. The goal was Daly’s 35th  goal of her career.

Cagnina’s goal came in the  34th minute as she was assited by sophomore Shea Connors, and  junior Morgan Tinari.  

Daly scored her second goal of the game on an assist by freshman Anna Maria Baldursdottir in the 66th minute on a booming strike from twenty-five yards out

“This game may have been our most complete team performance of the season so far,” Stone said. “All 21 players that were with us contributed positively to the weekend both on and off the field.”

This game marked St. John’s women’s soccer largest margin of victory since last year’s season opener against St. Francis.

The Red Storm head back home to Belson on Sunday, as they get ready to go against Fairleigh Dickinson at 7 p.m.