Palgutova sets kills record in weekend split

(Photo: Athletic Communications)
(Photo: Athletic Communications)

The Red Storm (15-10, 5-5 Big East) defeated Georgetown  (8-15, 2-8 Big East) 3-0 for their eighth sweep of the season (25-20, 25-12, 25-23).

Senior Yaidy Santiago had 11 kills (season-high) and 14 digs for her first double-double of the season. Santiago also completed a .333 attacking percentage and two service aces. Karin Palgutova had another fantastic game with 11 kills and eight digs.

Sophomore middle blocker Julia Cast was once again superb as she collected 10 kills, one error and a .562 attacking clip. Senior Shawna-Lei Santos led the offense with 36 assists, eight digs, and one kill.

St. John’s defense was phenomenal holding the Hoyas to just a .156 attacking percentage and 16 errors.

Redshirt sophomore Danisha Moss had a strong game getting four kills, four blocks, and a .333 attacking percentage. Moss is the Big East blocks leader and is in the top-30 in the country. Sophomore Delaney D’Amore had seven digs and redshirt junior Melissa Chin collected four digs. Freshman Ariel Miyasaki came off the bench to contribute three digs and one service ace.

On Sunday the Red Storm (15-11, 5-6 Big East) were able to get off to a great start in each set but still fell to Creighton (17-7, 11-0 Big East) in straight sets, 20-25, 25-27, 19-25.

Palgutova became the all-career leader in kills but that wasn’t enough for the Red Storm to beat Creighton. Palgutova passed Jackie Ahlers (2002-04, 1,766 career kills) during the first set with a  career number 1,774 kills. Palgutova is also four service aces away from becoming the all-time leader in that category.

The Bluejays were able to keep St. John’s to a .087 attacking percentage and Creighton had a .230 percentage.

On the day Cast had seven kills,  Santiago collected five kills, eight digs and one service ace. Moss came away with four kills, three blocks and .444 attacking percentage and junior Mona Karkkainenn  contributed four kills and two blocks.

Santos played great in the loss with 29 assists, six digs, and two blocks. D’Amore had a total of nine digs, Palgutova got eight and Chin finished with seven.

The Red Storm took an early 3-0 in the third set, but Creighton came back with a 5-0 run to take the lead. The Johnnies close the gap to three points late in the set 20-17 but the Bluejays eventually 25-19.

Coming up next for the Red Storm are home sets against Xavier on Oct. 30  and Butler on Oct. 31.