St. John’s Men’s Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader on Saturday Night

St. John’s men’s tennis improved to an impressive 14-4 record (8-0 at home) with a doubleheader sweep on Sunday. They defeated Army 4-1 and shut out St. Francis Brooklyn 7-0.

St. John’s didn’t get off to a great start, and were forced to rally in the first match Army took two of the three doubles games, as seniors Roberto Livi and Michael-John Every got the lone win by a score of 6-2 in the No.3 doubles match.

In the singles matchups, the Red Storm took control. Senior Vaidik Munshaw started it off with a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the No. 4 singles matchup. Following up Munshaw’s performance was the No. 1 singles matchup.

Senior Luke Hejhal took control of the first set fairly quickly and cruised to an easy straight set win by a score of 6-1, 6-3. Livi and Freshman Andrei Crapcenco also got the win and improved the match score to 4-1. Two other singles were schedule to play but play was stopped short and the games were not finished.

In the second match against the Terriers of St. Francis Brooklyn. Unlike the first match against Army, the Red Storm got off to a hot start and didn’t cool off until the match was over. The Red storm ended up winning all seven games (five singles/two doubles) were played. Livi won the No. 1 singles matchup fairly easily by a score of 6-1, 6-0. Both No. 5 Alex Roszkowski and No. 2 Alan Nunez Aguilera also won their respective singles matchups by a score of 6-1, 6-0.

No. 3 Michael-John Every defeated Sacha Singh in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2. No. 4 Dusan Vukicevic closed out singles play by defeating his brother Milos Vukicevic by a score of 6-3, 6-1. In doubles play, the Johnnies won both matches. Every and Livi won by a score of 6-1 and Hejhal and Roszkowski won 6-3.

The Red Storm defeated St. Francis Brooklyn with a combined score of 60-9 in singles play and 12-4 in doubles.