Women’s Tennis Splits Weekend on the Road vs. NJIT, Cornell

St. John’s women’s tennis finished their weekend of road play 1-1, blanking NJIT 7-0 and losing to Cornell 5-2.

The Red Storm swept the Highlanders (3-7) Friday night for the second-consecutive year. St. John’s earned the doubles points and won all six singles contests.

The first victory of the match came from the No. 3 doubles team of junior Anna Morozova and sophomore Jade Collins. They defeated NJIT’s doubles team 6-1 and move their record to 7-1 on the year.  No. 1 doubles team of junior Natallia Vavulina and sophomore Zofia Stanisz recorded a 6-2 victory for their seventh win when playing together. The No. 2 doubles team of junior Stephanie Elgegren and freshman Delia Arranz won 6-3 to sweep the doubles play for the Johnnies.

The singles players followed in the doubles players’ dominance. Freshman Olaya Inclan won the first match of singles play with a 6-2, 3-0 (ret.) play. Vavulina defeated her NJIT opponent at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-2. Morozova clinched the match for the Red Storm with a straight-sets victory at No. 2 singles and is now 16-2 this season. Sophomore Irina Preotescu won her match at the No. 3 singles position 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Arranz recorded a straight-sets victory for her third-straight victory at No. 6 singles. Stanisz won 6-2, 7-5 to earn the sweep over the Highlanders and the Johnnies fifth sweep of the year.

St. John’s later traveled to upstate New York on Sunday to face Cornell (7-5) and fell 5-2. Cornell scratched out the doubles point in a tiebreaker, and then went on to win both singles that went to three sets.

St. John’s two wins came at the No. 1 and No. 4 singles positions. Vavulina defeated Marika Cusick 6-1, 6-4 at No. 1 singles and is 9-1 at the top singles position this year. At No. 4 singles, Inclan defeated Jane Stewart 7-5, 6-4.

The Red Storm will conclude their four-game road trip when they travel to Philadelphia to face the University of Pennsylvania (5-4).