Week in Review: Record-Breaking Performances and Big East Openers

The Johnnies saw mixed results in a packed week.
Torch Photo / Sara Kiernan

Men’s Soccer Begins Big East Play, Sees Mixed Results

The men’s soccer team began their week on a high — graduate transfer Lenny Cidolit picked up a Big East Defensive Player of the Week mention and forward Macombe Ba earned a spot on the Big East honor roll. Cidolit’s accolade marks the first Johnnie mention since 2018. 

On Monday, the Red Storm defeated Temple 7-1 at Belson Stadium. The Red Storm saw seven different goal scorers, with players Eric Danquah, Jackson Gould and Miguel Diaz tallying their first of the season. The team utilized their bench, with 26 players seeing action in the Sept. 11 game. 

The Johnnies opened Big East play at UConn on Friday, in a dramatic 2-1 loss. The team couldn’t keep the Huskies from scoring in the 27th and 48th minutes but found their edge when striker Nicholas Fleuriau Chateau netted a goal in the 60th minute. The Red Storm battled until the game’s last minutes with an overturned penalty kick, but it wasn’t enough for UConn to secure a win. 

The Red Storm are back on the pitch Tuesday at Princeton in a 7 p.m. contest. 

Men’s Tennis Finishes Strong in Penn Invite

The Red Storm tennis squad opened their fall season at Philadelphia’s Penn Invite, playing alongside ​​Penn, Dartmouth, Temple, Liberty, Navy, Delaware and Yale. 

Players Martin Bugaj, Francisco Bascón, Adam Groves, Danilo Racevic and Carl Gustavsson all shined in their first matches of the season. Groves won all five doubles and singles matches during the event, while Raicevic and Gustavsson dominated in doubles play, winning two matches. In his St. John’s debut, Raicevic recorded five matches throughout the invitational. 

The Red Storm will continue their pursuits at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American Championships in Tulsa, OK, on Sept. 30. 

Women’s Golf Finishes Eighth at Princeton Invitational 

The Women’s Golf team opened their season in a two-day, three-round tournament in Springfield, NJ this weekend. Kelly Wu, Cloe Clocchiatti, Laia Barro, Xuan Khue Minh Doan and Angelica Kusnowo competed for the Red Storm against a 12-school lineup. 

On their opening day, the Red Storm shot 51-over in 36 holes. The Johnnies ended the first day in seventh place. Individual competitor and junior Karen Beglin ended the day in a team-best 31st place. 

On the tournament’s last day, the Johnnies shot 11-over, 295. Overall, the team shot 62-over, 914, giving them an eighth-place finish. 

The team’s next match is Sept. 25-26 for the Red Bandana Invitational. 

Women’s Soccer Records A Victory and Draw, Garziano Breaks Assist Record 

The Red Storm Women’s Soccer team went 1-0-1 in a week that saw record-breaking performances. 

The Red Storm recorded a draw on Thursday against Yale, 2-2. In her first goal of the season, junior Jordyn Levy scored off a free kick in the eighth minute. After Yale scored two goals in the first half, the Red Storm entered the second half down 2-1. Senior Nicole Gordon registered the tying goal in the 54th minute. Both teams could not break the tie after earning corners in the final minutes. 

In a 4-3 home victory over Harvard on Sunday, graduate student Jess Garziano tallied a season-high two goals in a match that saw her become the program’s all-time career assist leader. Garziano’s performance named her Big East Offensive Player of the Week. Junior Lauryn Tran drilled a game-winning goal in the 62nd minute to win a crucial non-conference win. Tran’s performance also earned her a Big East Honor Roll spot. 

The Red Storm’s next match is Thursday against No. 10 Georgetown in their Big East Opener. 

Volleyball Hosts Red Storm Invitational

The Volleyball team hosted the Red Storm Invitational this weekend at Carnesecca Arena. The Johnnies played Bryant at 9 a.m. and No. 16 Arkansas at 8 p.m. 

The team defeated Bryant, 3-2, but ultimately fell to Arkansas. Setter Wiktoria Kowalczyk racked up 42 assists and six digs for the win against Bryant. 

Torch Photo / Megan Chapman

Against Arkansas, setter/right-side hitter Erin Jones recorded her fourth double-double of the season, tallying a team-high 17 kills and 14 digs. Their conquest wasn’t enough to hold off Arkansas, who defeated the Johnnies 3-1. 

On Saturday evening against Buffalo, the Red Storm lost in four sets. Kowalczyk continued her stellar performance, recording 39 assists, six digs, four kills, two aces and two blocks.

The Women’s Volleyball team opens conference play against UConn at 7 p.m. in Carnesecca Arena.