Flames of The Torch: Preparing for the Election

Hofstra University hosted their second presidential debate in a row last night. They are located 13 miles east of St. John’s, half an hour travel time by car.

Some St. John’s students were in attendance at the debate. Many others watched it on their TVs, streaming online or even at the viewing party on campus. And many didn’t watch any of it at all.

Debates are not the clearest way to  hear the arguments for and against the candidates. Nor are they the most accurate, as fact checkers like Politifact and Fact Check have been quick to point out the lies, half lies, and truths that each candidate says.

But debates are often the most accessible way to get information. They are also some of the most hyped events of the campaigns. They occur close to election day and there is usually suspense, drama and at the end of it all, a winner called.

Debates are like sporting events and that’s precisely why millions of people tune in to see them every four years.

However, debates can’t do it all for a voter. Issues get muddied, candidates talk their ways around certain, unfavorable questions and moderators get hushed. Voters must look elsewhere as well to get their information and make their decisions.

Getting involved and informed in this election is the most important thing you can do for your future. Whoever gets elected on November 6th will be tasked with continuing our nation’s recovery from the recession.

They will be implementing tax plans and jobs plans that will directly affect us as we enter the “real world” in the coming years.

They will make decisions about student loan rates and debt. We don’t have to tell you how important that will be.

They will make decisions about what kind of healthcare you will need and be able to get.

Whoever is elected will directly affect each and every one of us. They will determine which direction the country is going.

They will shape our United States of America. That’s why we need to be informed and prepared to cast our votes.